4 ton carrier/Lennox Help!

Problems related to residential installations.

4 ton carrier/Lennox Help!

Postby Fournbr3 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:46 pm

OK, so I have good friends, one gave me a 4 ton Carrier Outside unit and one gave me an old Lennox setup without the outside unit for my shop. So I have a new tempstar heat unit that works great. On that I attached the lennox coil, ran the copper, and hooked up the compressor. The coil has an orfice, number 84, which coincides with an approximate 4 ton coil. I welded it all up, pulled a good vacuum and then opened the compressor valves and fired it up. The pressure was 74/255 on an 85 degree day. Suction pipe temp at the compressor was app 50 Deg. After letting the unit run for a while I noticed that I had a lot...a lot, of condensation from the drain pipe, and the temp coming off the coil was only in the 60's, never got any better. After trying to get an AC guy here and two no-showing, I decided to go a step further and put in a sight glass and check freon level that way. No bubbles at all after another vacuum etc. So now maybe I'm thinking overcharged and used my recycler to take some out, to the point that I see a bubble. I do that, the pressure is 55/200 and I still have the same deal, only so-so cooling. My next step is to think about orfice size even though the a/c parts guy says that 84-86 is about right for 4 ton. Compressor runs and sounds good but something is still amiss. Can anyone help as I have a wife and three daughters and I spend a LOT of time in my shop?
Fournbr3
Minimal

- 4 ton carrier/Lennox Help!

Postby heatseeker » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:32 am

sounds like you may have a large heat load in the shop. is the furnace a 4 ton furnace? 1600 cfm? whats the square footage?
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Postby Fournbr3 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:12 am

Thanks for responding, I think you are correct in the heat load, it's a 32x36 shop with 12 ft ceilings with a 12x24 pool house also connected. It is a 4 ton unit and the heat is great, just cant get the cooling quite right. I am going to pull the coil back out because I think the plastic tray may be cracked as I keep getting water seeping from it. Otherwise I believe that the freon is low and I will add that after the coil tray is repaired. Anything else I can look for?
Fournbr3
Minimal

Postby heatseeker » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:32 am

doubt if tray is cracked just not installed properly. adding freon won't help if your pressures are too high already try charging by subcool and superheat. what is the heat source in the building?
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential