Damage to HVAC system after Tornado

HVAC questions and problems within commercial installations.

Damage to HVAC system after Tornado

Postby dkc05dave » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:15 am

Need some advice. Have a comercial building that was damaged in one of the recent tornado's in the midwest. The tornado also caused a massive power surge that occured as a result.

The building was almost destroyed. The roof and purlins peeled off of it. The building lost a good part of the duct systems. The compressors were outside on a pad. Lots of debris landed near them. the sustained some external damage. The insurance company agreed to replace the wet and damged ducts and drywall in the building but stated that the HVAC systems seemed ok.... "maybe we need to comb out the fins and after the builidng is rebuilt then we will see if the fire up." The put a test on them to see if they would kick and the did for a couple of mins. But the electrical has been off for over 25 days. So it was just a quick test. No load on the system since there is no way to run multiple units with out power.

What problems does one see after a serious windstorm where the outside units have been damaged and the inside furnaces have been exposed to moisture and humidity since there is currently no roof on the builidng and every time it rains there is moisture exposure even knowing that the units have been wrapped in plastic. That plastic is also coming about from more rain and wind exposure.

My aurgument is that its better to replace now when you can access the units inside of the building and outside before the roofing & siding is put back on. The insulation is ripped off of the copper running from the compressor going up a wall then inside to the furnace.

I know that nobody will offer any type of warranty when the equipment is put back into service and that down the road there could be reoccuring problems with all of the equipment.

Anybody have any advice on how to deal with an Insurance carrier?
dkc05dave
Minimal

- Damage to HVAC system after Tornado

Postby nomadpeo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:26 pm

take pictures and fight them. that's ridiculous. i know they will try to wear you down, but don't stand for it. consult with three commercial ac companies for assessment and quotes and statements. squeaky wheel gets the grease.
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

- Damage to HVAC system after Tornado

Postby Edward » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:47 am

The inside portion of your hvac system is what concerns me. Depending on what type of furncaces they are, the safety portion of the controls has been comprimised and is not at all advisable to run them. Definately fight them. They would pay out a lot more if they have to replace the entire building due to safety failure of the controls. I love insurance companies, "pay me pay me pay me pay me, oh,, what you need some money, you need to use some of the cash you gave me? Sorry, we can't help you."
Edward
Regular Contributor

Return to Commercial