compressor maybe

An area where professionals can discuss HVAC /R related issues and topics.

compressor maybe

Postby cgill » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:04 pm

hello, I have a 7 year old 2 ton ducane unit. 3 days ago I noticed my defrost wasnt working. tech came out and put a new defrost board on. he also put refrigerant in it (it was a little low but not bad). that night when the unit came on seemed to be working fine but when I got up during the night i noticed cool air coming out of my vents. I cut the unit of and cut it back on and the unit kicked on and then I heard a very loud grinding like noise wich it did 2 more times and finally the heat kicked on. after i called the tech out the next day he said he may have added to much refrigerant so he drained some and took the pressure. I go to bed and wake up to the same noise the next a.m. he comes back out and this time im bonedry on refrigerant. ive now got to change a reverser valve cause it has a leak. what im wandering is,is the grinding noise im hearing the compressor and is it going bad to.
cgill
Minimal

- compressor maybe

Postby hsyl14 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:19 am

yes sir that is vry possible u have to be sure the noise is comming from the comressor though and not the fan motor
hsyl14
Minimal

- compressor maybe

Postby nomadpeo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:39 am

sometimes when testing a heat pump, it helps to test it in cooling mode to rule out some issues such as compressor performance and freon level. that testing is best done above 80 outside but could be done at 70. if the freon is low, a leak should be located.
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Technicians Only