Heat Pump Problems

Problems related to residential installations.

Heat Pump Problems

Postby Viper » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:19 pm

I have a Goodman 4 ton Heat Pump that work up until Friday when I had to resort using the back up electric heat-strip not because the outdoor temps fell to low but because the compressor would not run. I have a White Rodgers 1F95-391 thermostat. When set for cooling the compressor starts but when put into heating the emergency heat strip turns on. This setting use to be the heat pump heat setting. I would need to push the system button and toggle through the menu until I reach the emergency heat strip to turn on and it would say in the display it was in the emergency mode. Now in the menu of the thermostat I do not have emergency heat in the menu.

For the last few days I have had to heat the house using the emergency heat-strip. Thinking that the reversing valve had stuck in the cooling position I decided to remove the thermostat and place jumpers from R to Y1 and B. The compressor started up and the reversing valve went into the heating cycle heating my home, but the heat-strip also started up as I had an AMP meter on the wiring to the heat-strip. I then removed the feed wires to the heat-strip to make sure the heat pump had reversed into the heating cycle of which it did.

I am confused as what is going on... Anyone have an idea? One thing I am certain of is the reversing valve is working. I am thinking that the board in air handler has gone bad due to when I did jumper out the thermostat and the heat-strip turned on as well. Maybe the heat-strip has always ran or it runs to assist the heat pump until a set time and then turns off. I am testing that theory right now...

I may add this entire setup, Goodman heat pump and the White Rodger 1F95-391 has worked for 6 years without a problem.

- The heat-strip started out at 44.7 AMPS and now has dropped down to 22.8 AMPS while the evap is hot as hell because the compressor is running.
Viper
Minimal

Return to Residential