DIY cause the unit will not work! -( so cold... no heat .

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

DIY cause the unit will not work! -( so cold... no heat .

Postby ireneki » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:34 pm

Old - Trane Weathertron Baystat240A
First new - Lux TX1500E
Second new - Honeywell RTH7500D

I heard the installation of thermostat is quite easy. So I decide to DIY.

I bought Lux TX1500E on Amazon. And according to the instruction, I took the old one off and try to get the new one on.

Old Trane line letter (color) --- First New thermostat Lux line letter (color)
R * R
T * (not used)
O * O
G * G
Y * Y
X2 * C
B * B
W * W

Turned unit on. Not working.

Then, I got online and found out my wiring was wrong. Change to the right -
Old Trane line letter (color) --- First New thermostat Lux line letter * * (color)
R * R
T * (not used)
O * O
G * G
Y * Y
X2 * W
B * C
W * W

Still not working. I thought the thermostat might be broken.

I put the old Trane 240A on. The heat unit still did not work. It was 3 a.m. in the morning. No heat! I wore a lot of clothes. Then I decided to go to bed and deal with it the next day.

This morning, I went to Home depot and bought $88 Honeywell RTH7500D. This time I checked the internet first. My wiring is as -
Old Trane line letter (color) --- Second New thermostat Honeywell line letter (color)
R * R
T * (not used)
O * O/B
G * G
Y * Y
X2 * E
B * C
W * Aux

Set * and *, I am really excited to wait for the heat clicking on. No luck. I called Honeywell customer service. The tech guy is really nice. He let me try a lot of things. Eventually, he said your unit might be broken. I have to call Trane for service.

That is really frustrated.

Is anyone here who can help me? Is there anyway I can fix it myself? Or I have to get a professional guy do it. Why trane is so complicated?

Does this mean my unit was down?

Thank you so much in advance.
ireneki
Minimal

- DIY cause the unit will not work! -( so cold... no hea

Postby ireneki » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:53 am

I did call pro. He found the blown fuse problem and only took him 10 minutes to change a new fuse. My wiring for Honeywell is all right. The system is fine now. It caused me $90 dollars more though because of my dumb mistake with LUX. The professional tech did say Honeywell is better choice. After two days without heat, it is really good to get the heat back.

My lesson, Before you DIY, please check online and make sure that you knew what you are doing.

Good luck with other DIY friends.

Thanks for the reply!

I learned a lot.
ireneki
Minimal

Return to HVAC General Forum