Heat Pump/Air Handler Tripping Breaker

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Heat Pump/Air Handler Tripping Breaker

Postby Christmas10 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:23 pm

I`m hoping you may be able to give me some insight. I have a HEIL HVAC heatpump. The breaker keeps tripping. It started about 4 months ago, at the end of the summer while still running the AC. We discovered the compressor heater had gone out & we replaced it & all seemed to be fine. When it we began running the heat in the cooler weather, it started doing the same thing. The breaker tripped a couple of times & ran fine, didn`t do it again until today. Now, it is also tripping the breaker when we put it on auxilary heat. My husband disconnected the wires that kick the heat pump on & the auxilary heat is on & not throwing the breaker. The air handler is pulling 38 amps which is confusing because we believe it`s only a 30amp breaker. Our outside unit is a (2 1/2 ton) HEIL 2008 model & we replaced the air handler earlier this year ,it`s a Grand Air model.

Please let ma know if you have any ideas at all, this is all very scary to me.

Thanks,
Jennifer Cooley
Anderson, S.C.
Christmas10
New Contributor

- Heat Pump/Air Handler Tripping Breaker

Postby clay3636 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:19 pm

where did he get this reading from (breaker or unit)which unit
clay3636
Regular Contributor

Postby juster » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:50 pm

It may be wise to get a mechanic to check this out. Does not make sense that you are drawing 38 amps and the breaker is rated for 30 amps. Breakers may run over the rating for a short time but will eventually trip. Were you able to make any further progress?
juster
Most Valued Contributor

Postby nomadpeo » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:19 am

maybe the 30 amp breaker that was tripping is for the condensing unit outside. the air handler is on a separate circuit - possibly a 5o or 60 amp breaker. if the 30 am breaker is no longer tripping it's probably because you are not using the condensing unit right now. sounds like a compressor related problem. maybe it needs a hard start kit. it will need to be checked for start and run amps and the run capacitor should be checked. do you have your thermostat in emergency heat position now ?
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum