Do heating ducts have to be balanced?

Problems related to residential installations.

Do heating ducts have to be balanced?

Postby Melissa2011B » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:56 am

We moved into this long 2300 sq ft UBC modular home in 2005 ( gas forced air heat ) and ever since then, the bedroom at the other end of the house from the furnace has always been much colder in winter.

A HVAC guy told us that all the ducts in the house should be open wide all the time, because the system moves a lot of air, so it should all be open, but I put my hand over the vent in that bathroom and bedroom, while the heat is running and can hardly feel any warm air coming out. When the hall outside that room is 60, that room and bath can be 55 if the bedroom door is closed. ( the door has a wall grill above it to let the air flow through )

So I'm wondering if the vents need to be balanced, instead of all open, to force some of the air down to that end of the house?

Otherwise, it may be that the dishonest lying builder could have disconnected the duct down there. I don't know...
Melissa2011B
Minimal

- Do heating ducts have to be balanced?

Postby Melissa2011B » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:10 pm

Ok, I see.

Well we have just an open return into the top of the furnace. The central air uses the same output ducts and everything returns through the grill in the utility room, which is at the west end of the house.

So we have the furnace and my bedroom at the west end, then it goes all the way ( maybe 80 ft ) to the other end of the house, with ducts open all along the way, and her bedroom is the last stop on that run.

The filter is a 16x25x5 pleated on top of the intake to the furnace/central air unit at the west end there. And yes we keep the filter changed.
Melissa2011B
Minimal

- Do heating ducts have to be balanced?

Postby nomadpeo » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:14 am

a modular home is going to be difficult to make modifications on the supply ducts or balance the air since the ducts are inaccessible. if the return is coming in from the bottom, it may be possible to add a return on an adjacent wall into the cavity where your return air enters. what is the tonnage of your system ? post the model number of your condensing unit (outside). the tonnage (capacity) will be encoded in it.
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential