wierd furnace problems

Tell us your HVAC crazy and funny stories.

wierd furnace problems

Postby nomadpeo » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:04 pm

i've seen a couple of odd problems with induced draft blowers. i learned the hard way that a speck of carbon can get trapped in the nipple the hose connects to, blocking airflow. after replacing the pressure switch, i realized i jumped the gun. now i carry a paper clip in my tools when i service furnaces. i've seen this problem 4 times.

another time, screws holding the housing to the furnace had backed off due to vibration and the air bypassed the gasket for the housing. there was not enough negative pressure to close the pressure switch.
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

- wierd furnace problems

Postby aircooledtx » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:40 pm

Yea, give that man cigar.. Happens allot on Janitrol/ Goodman units..I also carry paper clip to clean that nipple out...
aircooledtx
Most Valued Contributor

- wierd furnace problems

Postby burntgas » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:07 pm

I have found a number of Lennox g61 and g71 units to have the same issues. The blockage is usually where the tube meets the collector box. That and the inducer housing starts to come apart at the seem. Really wish they build the inducer motor and housing as two units! Such a shame to have to pull a good motor because of a housing split
burntgas
Minimal

Return to Things that make you go hmmm