Calculating pressure drop across filter units

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Calculating pressure drop across filter units

Postby cpat » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:28 pm

I am a mechanical engineer and my company is in the middle of finalizing a software for air flow modeling and analysis. We are manufacturers of inline filter units for HVAC systems. The software should be able to find the pressure drop across the filter units and also the amount of airflow required for each zone and stuff like that. I have been going through different software to meet these requirements and they are CONTAM, AIRPAK, etc.

I would really like the inputs from everyone as to what you guys think might be suitable for us.

Thanks
cpat
Minimal

- Calculating pressure drop across filter units

Postby cpat » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:33 am

I think there is some sort of miscommunication here.

I basically want to find out the amount of clean air required for a particular floor in an office building. The floor has approximately 14 zones in it. My company manufactures air filter units that can be attached to HVAC system without making major changes in the system. So I need to find out the amount of clean air required for this particular floor and for that I need to calculate the number of filter units that I would have to use in order to mean the "clean air" requirements of that floor.

I hope the picture has now become clearer for you guys. Please get back to this ASAP as I need to decide which software should I use for air flow modeling in order to find out the clean air requirements of this particular space.

The reason why I mentioned pressure drop was because while deciding on the number of units that are required to be attached to the HVAC system, we need to take into consideration the pressure drop across the filter units as there is only a certain amount of pressure drop that a system can handle based on its structure.

So basically I need a software that can do air flow modeling for a particular space and can give out the clean air requirements for that space and also the pressure drop across the filter units after running the simulations.

Please provide your inputs on this.

Thanks
cpat
Minimal

Postby nomadpeo » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:39 am

cpat, i'm sure you have figured out by now you are barking up the wrong tree. we are not designers and rarely use software. you design based upon constants in books. we verify a system is running according to your specs and if it is not, we correct it. you need to consult with your colleagues, your libraries and your software designers. no offense intended, but if you are in the middle of a final software design, it seems a little late to be gathering field input from technicians. if you need field input, your lab is the building you are modifying.
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

Postby aircooledtx » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:30 pm

Magnahelic is proper way to check drop of pressure in system..
aircooledtx
Most Valued Contributor

Duct designing software

Postby dileepa » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:22 am

I'm dileepa who worked as mechanical engineer in Co-energi pvt ltd. We design duct system, lighting system , building managment system. So I want to know what are the best software to use for duct designing system. And simulation also. Can you tell me what are the best software to do my job?
Thank you.

Regards,
Dileepa
(Mechanical Engineer- Co-energi pvt ltd)
dileepa
Minimal

Return to HVAC General Forum