American Standard Defrost Board Problem Please Help

Problems related to residential installations.

American Standard Defrost Board Problem Please Help

Postby amys » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:46 pm

Hello,

I have an American Standard Heritage 11 system that is just over five years old. The coils freeze up when I have the heat on. After some research I assumed that it was the defrost board and had a technician out who verified that the defrost board is the problem after ruling out other possibilities. The light on the defrost board is not on and he is not able to jump start it. I am told by other HVAC contractors that the sensor typically needs to be changed out if the defrost board is changed. My technician does not know what the sensor I am referring to when I tell him this. He is coming to install the new board tomorrow and I'm afraid that if the sensor is also bad, it could damage the new board. Also, how could he test to see if it's maybe a problem with the reversing valve? He said that all of the lines are flowing. The psi test on the high side is 150+ and low 50+; amp test on compressor was 11-15 amp.

Can anyone offer any insight? I would greatly appreciate it.

Model #2A6H1042A1000AB
Serial #5175UAD4F
amys
New Contributor

- American Standard Defrost Board Problem Please Help

Postby amys » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:37 pm

**"dilkey"-* should be able to test the sensor by seeing what the ohm value is for the corresponding temp, this will tell you if the sensor is bad, by just changing parts is just not practical, and could cost you alot of money, ask him how he came to this conclusion, keep me informed ok, im on your */-*

The scary thing is that he didn't know what I meant by asking about the sensor. He said that the light on the board was not on and he tried to manually jump start it but it didn't work and that's how he came to the conclusion that the board was bad. When I told him that there is a something called a defrost sensor, he asked me if I was referring to the "bulb".
I really appreciate your input. Thanks.
amys
New Contributor

Postby amys » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:38 pm

**"dilkey"-* the psi tested in the heat or cool mode?*/-*

I believe it was on cool mode.
amys
New Contributor

Postby nomadpeo » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:37 am

150 and 50 in cool mode ? hmmm.

not all techs can work on heat pumps. you are right to inquire. dilkey will not steer you wrong. consider another technician if it is still misbehaving.
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential