Orifice Type Expansion Device VS. Capillary Tube Device

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Orifice Type Expansion Device VS. Capillary Tube Device

Postby terryb » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:29 pm

Is there a real difference between a orifice type expansion device and a capillary tube expansion device ? I know an orifice metering device allows full flow in one direction and restricted flow in the other direction , but I am somewhat confused by the two. Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill here,but I am curious if there is a difference between the two.
I appreciate any feedback here.
Thank you
terryb
New Contributor

- Orifice Type Expansion Device VS. Capillary Tube Device

Postby nomadpeo » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:43 am

non-txv metering devcices are all referred to as 'fixed' because there is no feedback for regulation as is the case with a txv remote sensing bulb. a capillary tube feed is based upon internal diameter and length. a piston, as you pointed out, allows free flow in one direction, so the opposing forces provide some control, but basically is viewed as a fixed orifice. a fixed md system has to be charged by superheat because there is no control over feed into the coil. the presence of superheat (heat added to a gas) indicates all the freon boiled in the coil and is proof that saturation (presence of gas and liquid combined in the coil as air passes over it). interestingly, as ambient temperatures drop, superheat goes up because liquid pressure drops. this results in less feed and therefore less volume and less boiling.

the bypass feature of the piston is fully utilized in a heatpump. when flow is reversed, the piston is bypassed to allow free flow instead of restricting.
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

- Orifice Type Expansion Device VS. Capillary Tube Device

Postby terryb » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:03 pm

Thank you very much Nomad. Needless to say,I was somewhat confused about this. Very much appreciated.
Thanks again!
terryb
New Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum