If you want to get into an HVAC apprenticeship in ON, Canada

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Moderator: juster

afireinside
New Contributor

If you want to get into an HVAC apprenticeship in ON, Canada

Post by afireinside » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:19 pm

Do you need your gas fitters license? If so, which level?
Will employers hire apprentices that have not completed a College-level program in Refrigeration & AC Mechanics?

Any additional info you can provide on the trade/entrance to the industry is greatly appreciated!
I have some great links but I really can't get the answers to my questions above so I appreciate any help!

garfield
New Contributor

- If you want to get into an HVAC apprenticeship in ON, Ca

Post by garfield » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:13 pm

As far as I know there is no HVAC apprenticeship in Ontario. The A/C Refrigeration field is a trade within itself. The gas/oil job is not considered a trade. You need a fitter 3 licence to work on gas or oil equipment and the work you can preform it severely restricted.
Hope this helps
Gar OB2/G2

afireinside
New Contributor

Post by afireinside » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:22 pm

Yes it does - greatly, thank you! For the Refrigeration and AC Mechanic Appreticeship would I need my Gas Fitter 1 license? Or would I just need to find an employer to hire me? Thanks again. I'm going to look into the 2 - I didn't realize they were totally seperated.

garfield
New Contributor

Post by garfield » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:15 am

You don't need a Gas fitter licence to be a Refrigeration mechanic. They are separate jobs. Gas and oil licences start at 3 and work their way up to 1. All you need is a job and your employer should steer you in the right direction. Check with local collages for programs in both areas. Good luck

afireinside
New Contributor

Post by afireinside » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:04 am

Thank you so much!