If you want to get into an HVAC apprenticeship in ON, Canada

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

If you want to get into an HVAC apprenticeship in ON, Canada

Postby afireinside » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:19 pm

Do you need your gas fitters license? If so, which level?
Will employers hire apprentices that have not completed a College-level program in Refrigeration & AC Mechanics?

Any additional info you can provide on the trade/entrance to the industry is greatly appreciated!
I have some great links but I really can't get the answers to my questions above so I appreciate any help!
afireinside
New Contributor

- If you want to get into an HVAC apprenticeship in ON, Ca

Postby garfield » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:13 pm

As far as I know there is no HVAC apprenticeship in Ontario. The A/C Refrigeration field is a trade within itself. The gas/oil job is not considered a trade. You need a fitter 3 licence to work on gas or oil equipment and the work you can preform it severely restricted.
Hope this helps
Gar OB2/G2
garfield
New Contributor

Postby afireinside » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:22 pm

Yes it does - greatly, thank you! For the Refrigeration and AC Mechanic Appreticeship would I need my Gas Fitter 1 license? Or would I just need to find an employer to hire me? Thanks again. I'm going to look into the 2 - I didn't realize they were totally seperated.
afireinside
New Contributor

Postby garfield » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:15 am

You don't need a Gas fitter licence to be a Refrigeration mechanic. They are separate jobs. Gas and oil licences start at 3 and work their way up to 1. All you need is a job and your employer should steer you in the right direction. Check with local collages for programs in both areas. Good luck
garfield
New Contributor

Postby afireinside » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:04 am

Thank you so much!
afireinside
New Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum