New expansion valve not working as well

Problems related to residential installations.

New expansion valve not working as well

Postby fixit » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:28 pm

Hi, I have a 4ton, 15 SEER heat pump installed and serviced by an authorized dealer heating and cooling 3000 sq.ft. It was installed last Feb. In early Dec. the expansion valve in the condensor went out. I had to wait two days for the dealer to get the part from the mfg. Yhe unit does not seem to work as efficently as before and my electric bill are 50 to 100% more.
Is this probable?
Thank you for your thoughts.
Fixit
fixit
Regular Contributor

- New expansion valve not working as well

Postby fixit » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:01 pm

Thanks for your reply. I took a letter by this afternoon laying out my complaints. It took 6 hours to get the temp uo 1 degree with out emergency heat. I am going to try it in the AM with emergency heat.
Thanks again,
Fixit
fixit
Regular Contributor

Postby fixit » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:36 pm

It is air to air heat pump in NE Georgia. It worked fine from last Feb. 8th toDec 10th of last year.
Thanks for asking,
Fixit
fixit
Regular Contributor

Postby nomadpeo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:41 pm

heat pump repairs are sometimes like back surgery. after repeated attempts, the problem gets worse and you don't want to have to start over with a new doctor. i agree with dilkey that something probably went wrong or the problem could have been misdiagnosed. if you stay with the same service company, insist the service manager send the best heat pump tech to re-assess before your bill begins to escalate. good luck.
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

Postby fixit » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:33 pm

The owner of the company and his senior tech is coming out at 1 PM ET. I think we will get this settled soon.
Thanks for your educated reply.
Fixit
fixit
Regular Contributor

Postby fixit » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:09 pm

Owner and a tech came out (senior tech not available). The owner is very knowledgeable.
The two of them spent an hour with the condenser and came up with the conclusion the reversing valve was sticking sometimes when defrosting, it stuck while they were inspecting it. They ordered a new one and I will let you know how it works with a post.
fixit
Regular Contributor

Postby fixit » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:07 pm

I was a senior tech rep. in a different industry, we called it easter egging. It seemed to work after the expansion valve was replaced. I had asked for replacement of the thermostats because when the old unit was rezoned in 2006 the stats they installed would not indicate when aux. heat was running. The same company did the rezoning and installed the new Trane (they are a Trane dealer). They said the rezoning board was bad is why they replaced it. They tried to get in touch with me Fri. afternoon, but both my wife and I were out. I will call them Mon. AM. I hope they come early.
Everything is under warranty so I have incurred no cost. I have a 10 yr. parts and labor warranty with a $150.00 annual charge for 2 inspections a year to keep the warranty up.. The dealer gave me 2 years free to cover some of my outrageous electric costs
I retired in 1987 as a senior tech rep. with IBM and then taught business law at a college. I have also trained as a paralegal. They would not be the first company I have taken to court.
Thanks for your input. I will post when it is resolved.
Fixit
fixit
Regular Contributor

Postby fixit » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:31 pm

New reversing valve got lost in transit. Came in today (Mon.), Tech came out about 3 pm and worked until -, it is - now and it seems to be working OK.
Thank you to every one who responded.
Fixit
fixit
Regular Contributor

Return to Residential