Zoning control board emer. heat shut system off

Problems related to residential installations.

Zoning control board emer. heat shut system off

Postby fixit » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:31 pm

I had a new zoning control board installed last week along with 2 new thermostats so I could see when emer. heat was on and to be able to turn emer. heat on while the unit was running. I keep the heat on 65 at night, it was down to 64 so I turned it up to 66 expecting the emer. heat to come on. It did not turn on so I turned emer. heat on manually (first time I have tried it) and it the system shut off. I turned the Thermostat up to 67 and waited the 5 min. the system requires and it did come on with emergency heat.
Should I have not turned on emer. heat while the system was running or should emer. heat have come on to supplement the system?
The original zoning board was installed 4 years ago, but with thermostats that did not show when emer. heat was on nor gave me the choice of turning the emer. heat on manually. The zoning was done by the same dealer that installed my new 4 ton Trane last Feb. He covered the control board, thermostats and labor under warranty thank goodness.
Thanks,
Fixit
fixit
Regular Contributor

- Zoning control board emer. heat shut system off

Postby fixit » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:16 am

Thank you for your quick reply.
Fixit
fixit
Regular Contributor

Postby nomadpeo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:23 am

the difference between aux heat and emergency heat is that emergency heat forces the heat pump off and designates the aux heat as primary heat source while in this mode. when a zone board receives a mode signal change, it discriminates as to what runs and time delay is a normal part of the process, as mentioned. the purpose of emergency heat is to switch to aux heat in the event the heat pump is not working. otherwise, if the heat pump is functional and working properly, aux heat is turned on as second stage to add heat if the heat pump needs help to maintain setpoint temperature. in that case, the addition of aux heat should be seamless without delay. the board receives a secondary signal and simply switches on the aux heat source to further warm the air. if you want it to be warmer, raise the setpoint rather than turning on emergency heat. only do that in the event of the emergency (heat pump failure). then call for service.
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

Postby 4ftBanger » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:33 am

My whole post was already covered - Guess I should read the whole thread next time...
4ftBanger
Most Valued Contributor

Postby fixit » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:18 pm

Thank you for your answers. I did not know the difference between the two, aux. heat and emer. heat.
Thanks,
Fixit
fixit
Regular Contributor

Return to Residential