Something is very messed up!

Problems related to residential installations.

Something is very messed up!

Postby nemthedream » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:28 pm

Ok, so about 6 months ago I installed a new automatic thermostat and it ended up being the wrong type and was not able to control the aux heat. I then bought a new one that was compatible and worked throughout the winter and did very well at keeping the house warm when I need it. However, when I looked at my bill that is usually around $170 in the summer and had been $270 with the dumb thermostat last year in January and February, it jumped to $400. The only thing that changed was that I installed a new thermostat that I thought would save me money and I did put a filter in the large return in the house as well as inside the unit under my house. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Ben
nemthedream
New Contributor

- Something is very messed up!

Postby 4ftBanger » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:54 pm

It sounds like the new thermostat is calling the electric heat on with every call for heat - Most newer thermostats are compatible with many different systems and have different wiring configurations and settings for each different application. You could have a wiring mistake or something set up incorrectly in the installer settings on the new thermostat.
4ftBanger
Most Valued Contributor

Postby nemthedream » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:44 pm

I did a little looking around and I found out that the outside unit is a Trane XR13. The air handler under the house is a Trane also and has a model# ofTWE031E13FB2 which I cannot find on their website. The thermostat that I bought is a Honeywell RTH6350. I think I have messed up the programming of the thermostat, the instructions are located here *-*://customer.honeywell.com/techlit/pdf/PackedLit/69-2416ES.**-*. The instructions start on page 14. If someone could look though those and let me know what I should have the settings at I would be indebted to you. I am horribly overwhelmed by this.

Thanks
Ben
nemthedream
New Contributor

Postby 4ftBanger » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:57 pm

Typically... If the wiring follows normal color coding.... you should have
a red wire connected to R
a yellow wire connected to Y
a white wire connected to W
a green wire connected to G
an orange wire connected to O

According to the manual you linked to your settings should -
1-07
2-0
3-1
5-9
6-9
8-9

The other settings are preference settings - F vs C and so on
4ftBanger
Most Valued Contributor

Postby nemthedream » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:07 pm

I am not sure what the last post is asking? Sorry....Thanks for the info on the setup though I went and changed them because I had set them up wrong on the majority. I had setting 1 as 5 and not 7...could that be the reason for the massive increase in kwh usage? Thanks much for the quick help. You all are the best.

Ben
nemthedream
New Contributor

Postby 4ftBanger » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:50 am

Yes. Absolutely was contributing to the problem. Setting 5 says Heat Pump WITH electric heat - meaning both come on at the same time - Setting 7 is for 2 stages (Heat Pump and Electric Heat) that work independently, not always together.
4ftBanger
Most Valued Contributor

Postby nemthedream » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:12 am

Again I cannot express how thankful I am for the help!
nemthedream
New Contributor

Postby nemthedream » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:45 pm

Any ideas as to why now that i need cold air and the ac is on that it is pumping out warm air?!
Thanks
nemthedream
New Contributor

Return to Residential