air supply inlet jargon

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Moderator: juster

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:46 pm

air supply inlet jargon

Post by Glevin » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:56 pm

What is the difference between nonmechanical and mechanical air supply?

I am investigating purchasing a tankless water heater. When deciding location, horizontal vent location appears to be a big issue.

The distance between the HVAC air supply inlet and the water heaters concentric, combustion air inlet differs between mechanical and nonmechanical systems air supply inlet systems.

My HVAC unit is in the basement. I have a duct (?fresh air?) going from outside to the return plenum before the filter. Would this be considered a nonmechanical air supply inlet?

Thank you.

Most Valued Contributor
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:31 am
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

- air supply inlet jargon

Post by 4ftBanger » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:59 pm

That would be considered a mechanical air supply inlet as air is being drawn into this inlet by a fan. Pay close attention to these clearance guidelines to prevent exhaust gasses from the water heater from being drawn back into the house.
Matt R -
Factory Service Rep for Daikin, LG, Seresco, Climatemaster & Emerson

Post Reply