Pilot Relite on old Rheem HVAC

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Pilot Relite on old Rheem HVAC

Postby daultonruff » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:18 am

I'm trying to find the replacement part on a Rheem 3.5 ton HVAC unit. Someone took the model identification off of both my units. The house was built in 1978. A repairman suggested I might need to replace the Pilot Relite. The Pilot Relite I'm trying to replace is a White Rogers 5059-22. I see lots of other Pilot Relites with a different ending numbers. I don't know what the last numbers mean
The 5059-23 looks like it would work but I need to make sure before I buy it. I read somewhere online that the 5059-23 did replace the 5059-22. The prices I see range anywhere from over a $100. to about $58.00. Why?
We have just spent $500 to replace four tube burners on the unit. The repairperson said I was getting a "weak spark". Since he left I've cleaned the terminals, replaced one, and sanded the points with emery paper because they looked burned. At this moment the unit has cycled on and off several times and for a month worked good. Now the unit is only starting after a couple of hours.
Could someone verify that the 5059-23 will work with this unit? I would like to avoid another $85. service call to someone I don't know if I can trust.
Thanks for your suggestions.
daultonruff
New Contributor

- Pilot Relite on old Rheem HVAC

Postby nomadpeo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:23 pm

how old is this furnace ? i know you said the house is 78 vintage. an older model furnace should be able to accept a universal ignitor module available in a several parts stores. it is important to weigh out cost of repairs vs replacement.
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

Postby daultonruff » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:33 pm

Thank you. The thoughts you have expressed have been said to me by others and if the compressor goes out next summer I will be buying a new unit. You would probably shake your head or chuckle if you saw how I have ducked taped the box to keep the moisture out. Since I have $400 in it now I will buy that pilot relight unit and hope that does it. If not then I will be shopping for a circuit board, or some other doo dad.
Initially, after the repair person told me he cleaned the terminals, I went up and did it myself. He hadn't done what he said. It ran great for about a month so I figured it must be the moisture since it's been raining and foggy.
Tonight it is keeping us warm. At least we can go to the bedroom when it won't light.
I'm not sure what makes the new units more effecient. I'm not sure how long it would take me to recoup my investment and we are retired living on one of those fixed incomes.
I have two units that are identical, on a 22 hundred sq ft house. The other was rebuilt by my cousing about 5 years ago and is doing fine...so far.

A different repair person came out and tried to put on a retrofit ignitor unit but he was unable to make it work because our unit is for propane. Since I can get a name brand ignitor I think I should go with that given that I don't know the model number of my unit.
Will there be any unit models on the circuit board?
I appreciate your replys and your time.
Thank you.
daultonruff
New Contributor

Postby nomadpeo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:56 pm

the brand name will tell you where to go. you will need the model and serial of the unit to order the part.
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

Postby daultonruff » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:12 pm

I purchased the pilot relight module but didn't install it until last week because the unit has been operating about the same. It will either fire right away or start after a couple of hours. I get up about five in the morning turn it on so we can have a warm morning.
After installing the new module the unit performed in the same way for two days. Now it is not firing at all. I expect that if I trip the breaker it will work again, but I need to move on to the next step.
The replacement module didn't have any back to cover the circuit. Should I seal that with caulking or make a gasket?

I suppose I need to replace the next likely bad component. I've read that it may be the circuit board. I don't see a circuit board. There is a terminal block that I cleaned up where the electrical components are. Where would the circuit board be?

I'm determined, now that I have about $550. in this unit, to make it work if I can. I am still trying to fix it myself. If I think I may be getting to the dangerous phase I will call out a repair person.

Thank you again for your recommendations and thanks for your expertise.
daultonruff
New Contributor

Postby daultonruff » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:37 pm

I tripped the breaker on the unit because it didn't go on for two days and now, after two hours again, it has ignited and will probably work until I turn the heat off tonight.

I'm not sure what to do at this point.
daultonruff
New Contributor

Postby AllTown » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:16 pm

Hello, thank you for letting me get familiar with your forum.
*-*://-.heatingandcoolingchicago.**-*
AllTown
Minimal

Postby aircooledtx » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:27 pm

**"dilkey"-* you say its a 1978 model? dont invest to much more money on a old inefficient unit, 400dollars to replace the burner tubes, now a spark box issue, then whats next, do you see where im going? these are only my thougts, im here to help people, good luck and keep us up to date.*/-*

I would agree why spend money on 1978 furnace with most likely thin/wall heat exchanger and no model/serial numbers.

Upgrade system to new Rheem or maybe a Carrier variable drv and you could save enough to pay for furnace in maybe 3-4 years.
aircooledtx
Most Valued Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum