HVAC closet in baby room dangerous?

Problems related to residential installations.

HVAC closet in baby room dangerous?

Postby portlandmom » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:04 pm

New to the forum. Thanks in advance for any help.

I've recently heard that sleeping in a room with an AC and/or WH can be a safety hazard/risk and my one year old son is currently doing just that. -/ I'm a renter paying quite a bit for a large home and am looking for some sort of feel for how serious the problem is, since any "solution" to it would be quite extreme (trying to get out of lease and move, having our son's "room" in one place and his crib for sleeping elsewhere, etc).

I do think the landlord is good - home seems well maintained, this is more me wanting to be as safe as possibly with my very small child. Along those same lines, if I'm asking a stupid question/worrying too much I'm sorry for wasting your time -- I just don't know who else to ask (ahh, isn't the Internet great?).

Trying to upload the pictures to a website to link to...
*-*://i56.tinypic.com/r2qniu.*/-*
*-*://i51.tinypic.com/29iflk.*/-*
*-*://i52.tinypic.com/2n7kwex.*/-*

I've looked up the codes etc but I can't understand them since I'm not well versed in HVAC terms. It does look like there is some sort of weather proofing around the door which is a requirement I understand for having a system installed in a bedroom. There does seem to be an intake coming from above (attic? outside the home?) next to the water heater.

Anything you can tell me about how to resolve the issue/feel comfortable about it is welcomed. More than willing to have an expert come take a look - don't know who to call, really, as I have never been a home owner and dealt with these issues.

Thanks in advance!
portlandmom
Minimal

- HVAC closet in baby room dangerous?

Postby portlandmom » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:08 am

Thank you for taking the time to give your opinion! Really appreciate it. Didn't even think of them being blocked, I will double check.

Also, we have installed a carbon monoxide detector in the room just in case, fwiw.
portlandmom
Minimal

Postby KristopherH » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:44 am

Usually codes are different for each state. You could call an home **://-.mrquikhomeservices.-***-* and HVAC person to give it a good check and make sure everything is operating. The carbon monoxide detector is a great idea even if you didn't have the furnace and water heater in the closet. We have carbon monoxide detectors on each level of our house.
KristopherH
New Contributor

Postby 4ftBanger » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:32 am

I wouldn't be too concerned - With a solid door and fresh air piped into the closet there should be no real issues.

Please make sure that at least one of your CO detectors has a low-level alarm - Many CO detectors only sound an alert if the levels exceed 70 parts per million for over an hour (or more) Exposure to levels as low as 35 PPM for a few hours can cause dizziness and nausea in sensitive people - especially children and elderly and will never set off a standard CO alarm. Additionally, the long term effects of low level CO exposure are not really known. Tests suggest that chronic low level CO exposure can eventually result in alzheimer's, respiratory and heart disease, and is often misdiagnosed as lupus.
4ftBanger
Most Valued Contributor

Postby aircooledtx » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:06 pm

**"portlandmom"-* to the forum. Thanks in advance for any help.

I've recently heard that sleeping in a room with an AC and/or WH can be a safety hazard/risk and my one year old son is currently doing just that. -/ I'm a renter paying quite a bit for a large home and am looking for some sort of feel for how serious the problem is, since any "solution" to it would be quite extreme (trying to get out of lease and move, having our son's "room" in one place and his crib for sleeping elsewhere, etc).

I do think the landlord is good - home seems well maintained, this is more me wanting to be as safe as possibly with my very small child. Along those same lines, if I'm asking a stupid question/worrying too much I'm sorry for wasting your time -- I just don't know who else to ask (ahh, isn't the Internet great?).

Trying to upload the pictures to a website to link to...
*-*://i56.tinypic.com/r2qniu.*/-*
*-*://i51.tinypic.com/29iflk.*/-*
*-*://i52.tinypic.com/2n7kwex.*/-*

I've looked up the codes etc but I can't understand them since I'm not well versed in HVAC terms. It does look like there is some sort of weather proofing around the door which is a requirement I understand for having a system installed in a bedroom. There does seem to be an intake coming from above (attic? outside the home?) next to the water heater.

Anything you can tell me about how to resolve the issue/feel comfortable about it is welcomed. More than willing to have an expert come take a look - don't know who to call, really, as I have never been a home owner and dealt with these issues.

Thanks in advance!*/-*

Warning! That 'T' on that DWH for combustion gas needs to be REMOVED.Seal around the closet to insure nothing leaks below into supply.. Us a bight/ light close the door and look under the stool if you can see light then Non- combustion air can get in..Seal it good...Safe- than sorry they died of C02 poisoning..
aircooledtx
Most Valued Contributor

Postby philipbyrne » Thu May 19, 2011 8:28 am

It is mainly burning of HVAC closet of pipe that the baby room has to be very dangerous by the flue pipe & infant. This room is not safe in which that the carbon monoxide detector is a great idea, even if you didn't water heater in the closet.

*.hugzbabystore.ie/
philipbyrne
Minimal

Return to Residential