Trane Heat Pump

Problems related to residential installations.

Trane Heat Pump

Postby Cardlime8 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:36 pm

I checked a Trane Air handler unit and found out that only one out of three heating element energized when unit is in heat mode or emergency mode. This unit has only one high limit temperature switch and all heating elements are connected to it. This unit doesn’t have a sequencer but it has some type of relay that looks like the heat pump defrost control relay.
The Air Handler manufacture is Trane. Mode # BWV036A100E1 and the Serial # B06351302, I checked online and could not get any information on the unit.

Would someone please help me advise what to do?
Thanks,
Cardlime8
New Contributor

- Trane Heat Pump

Postby aircooledtx » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:52 pm

Well, is it calling for heat?
You have amp meter, what is amp draw of heat strips?
Might want to check wiring AT air handler to see if both strip wires are connected.
aircooledtx
Most Valued Contributor

- Trane Heat Pump

Postby Cardlime8 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:46 am

Yes! The system is calling for heat. I switched it back and forth from emergency and heat mode and nothing happened.
One strip is drawing 20 amps and the other two nothing.
At the air handler there is three wires connected between W1 and W2, two black and one white. but at the t-stat the black wire is not connected.
Cardlime8
New Contributor

- Trane Heat Pump

Postby aircooledtx » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:04 am

**"Cardlime8"-*! The system is calling for heat. I switched it back and forth from emergency and heat mode and nothing happened.
One strip is drawing 20 amps and the other two nothing.
At the air handler there is three wires connected between W1 and W2, two black and one white. but at the t-stat the black wire is not connected.*/-*
black is usually heat strips/BUT check to ground before connecting all blacks at AH.
Heat should be at 85 / to insure all strips are called for at t-stat
aircooledtx
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential