programmable thermostat with "hot tub timer" feature

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

programmable thermostat with "hot tub timer" feature

Postby Twisted » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:13 pm

Our office building will soon no longer be providing 24 hr HVAC. Anything outside of 9a-5p will now be on our own dime. But we work a lot of extra and varying hours. So I'm looking for an affordable programmable thermostat that will allow us to easily keep the HVAC running when we are here, and shut off automatically when we're not.

The programmable stats I've seen so far seem to allow you to set up to four times of day when the temp will automatically change (wake, leave, return, sleep). That would almost work for us, in that we could set the first two times for 9a and 5p. But the problem comes in on not knowing when people will leave. Sometimes everyone is gone by 8p, other times people will work until 5a the next morning.

So one idea I had is to find a stat that would have the HVAC on from 9a-5p, and then have a timer that could be set for anywhere from 1-5 additional hours at a time where the HVAC would remain on. That way, if nobody manually sets it, we will save money by not running the HVAC after hours. But, if someone does need to work late, they can manually turn it on for as long as they need, AND not have to worry about remembering to turn it off when they go.

Does anyone know of a thermostat with this type of feature?

Thanks!
Twisted
Minimal

- programmable thermostat with "hot tub timer" feature

Postby aircooledtx » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:00 pm

Totaline Thermostat with 7 day program gives you 4 per weekday and 4 Saturday/4 Sunday.
Now what you would need to do is elect a person to be in charge of thermostat , set wake - / leave -:00pm/ return - - / sleep - -.. If you have someone working while program is running have them press Hold/ until they leave then hit / Run Program.....
aircooledtx
Most Valued Contributor

- programmable thermostat with "hot tub timer" feature

Postby Twisted » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:35 pm

Thanks for the reply! Seems like that's as best a solution as possible with the programmable stats. The main concern with that is just people forgetting to turn off the hold when they leave and it running for several hours unnecessarily until the next programed time. The Honeywell TH8110U1003 VisionPRO was slightly more customizable than most, so it was at the top of my list. But sounds like our contractor offered a solution with a combo of the existing thermostats and a spring wound timer that controls after-hours HVAC. Looks like that's what we'll be going with.
Twisted
Minimal

Return to HVAC General Forum