compressor help

Problems related to residential installations.

compressor help

Postby slickjim86 » Mon May 09, 2011 4:34 pm

I just got my compressor replaced because it blew a hole through one of the terminals. I've replaced 2 reversing valves now the current one looks and sounds bad. On top of that my new 2 ton scroll compressor is overheating and sounds like it's running backwards. At this point i don't know what to do. what to fix or weather to buy a new system. Im getting very frustrated, i don't want to put anymore money then i have to in the thing. I've had several hvac techs tell me they dont know how to fix it because it should be the reversing valve. I dont know what to do at this point.
slickjim86
Minimal

- compressor help

Postby cascadehvac » Mon May 09, 2011 4:45 pm

sadly...there is usually a reason the compressors goes out. just replacing the compressor often will not solve issues. my advice would be to junk the whole thing and get a new system
cascadehvac
Regular Contributor

- compressor help

Postby slickjim86 » Mon May 09, 2011 4:55 pm

i was hoping that wouldnt be the case thanks anyways
slickjim86
Minimal

- compressor help

Postby Braut » Thu May 26, 2011 7:28 pm

If you live more north and only use the unit sporadically for 3 months out of the year save some money on a lower efficiency model as you won't see the return on investment on higher SEER unit. Save some money by comparing compressors and warranties only... don't get too caught up in any given brand.

best of luck
Braut
Braut
New Contributor

- compressor help

Postby nomadpeo » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:10 pm

even if you replace it, the cause of the repeated problems may not have been identified yet. hard as it is to find someone who has qualifications and the also has desire to help, you still need to find someone to assess what's going on with your system. something is amiss. though complicated to some extent, and misunderstood by many techs, a heat pump can be tested the same way any ac can be tested. because it is a heat pump, many techs get tunnel vision and get overwhelmed, then forget to verify the basics - proper sizing, properly matched components (inside/outside), line size, return air size, duct cfm capability, proper voltages, pressure drop across freon filters, to name a few. additionally, since there are more wire connections in a heat pump typically, sometimes flaky connections can cause some problems. it is very likely that the original compressor failure could have been caused by a maintenance or design related issue that has yet not been resolved. at this point, you should find a service manager who is willing to have a conversation with you and who has a troubleshooter whose job it is to go behind other techs to come out and look for problems. good luck.
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

- compressor help

Postby Freon » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:26 am

Your original problem was electrical in nature so I would start there. If you think the compressor is running backwards, then I will ask, did you replace the run capacitor for both the fan and compressor? You need to get the compressor runnng correctly before looking at anything else. Since it's summer you can run the system in AC mode to check pressures and make sure you have the correct charge since the refrigerant also provides cooling to the compressor. You may have control board issues as a result of the initial electrical surge/spark so you may need to directly activate the changeover valve. If you're lucky it's in AC mode when unenergized and you can simple disconnect it. Also check the amperage draw of the compressor to make sure it's where it should be.

I will assume you did the compressor replacement by the book and there is no reason to suspect any contamination in the system. Make sure the evaporator coil and condenser coils are clean and all returns, supplies and filters ore open and clean. Electric sparks are lethal to many components through surges and induction. I think that's where your problems lay. Bypass/jumper as much as you can, SAFELY, and see if you can get it running. Read the schematic carefully so you understand what you are doing.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

- compressor help

Postby JAMES NOLTING » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:26 pm

3 1/2 Heat pump. I think I need to put more R22 in my heat pump. With both sides of my gage (hot/cold) I am reading 60 psi on the cool side and 50 psi on the hot side. When I shut off the cool side I get 120 psi on the hot side. When I shut off the hot side I get 50 psi on the cool side. I tried to load in some more R22 but the system would not take it. But while i had the R22 tank loading the cool side going to the heat pump became very cold. When i shut off the R22 tank, the cool side was not as cold. I did not turn the R22 tank upside down as I was not sure what results I would get. What psi should I been shooting for and what is the porper way to add freon? Thanks Jim Nolting e-mail jamesnolting@* jamesnolting@*
JAMES NOLTING
Minimal

- compressor help

Postby nomadpeo » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:17 am

i can tell from your descriptions and questions that you are not trained and qualified to be working on this system yourself. my advice is to stop trying to work on it yourself and continue searching for on site help. i do understand the need to minimize expenses, but you are in over your head and it is irresponsible for us to tell you here how to diagnose and repair your heat pump. there are several safety issues involving pressure and electrical hazards, both for you and your equipment. best of luck finding the right company.
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential