Pressure Switch Stuck Open

Problems related to residential installations.

Pressure Switch Stuck Open

Postby pr1244883 » Sun May 15, 2011 3:55 pm

I have a high efficiency Luxaire furnance, model - G9T08012UPB13C

About a year ago the heat went out and I had to call a repairman. They replaced the ventor capacitor (and left me with a $360 bill) and said they thought the ventor motor would need to be replaced soon.

Well a year later, the indicator is blinking 3 times again which means the pressure switch is stuck open.

This time I tried to tackle it myself. I tested the capacitor and it still has a reading of 4 mfd, which it is supposed to have. I've checked all the tubes, and gently blown into the pressure switch. I can hear the switch close when I do this. I also just detached the ventor motor - which was a task in itself. There is nothing blocking the fan blades, it spins without a problem, and in general it actually looks in really good condition. With everything clean, I reattached all the parts and tried it again. I can see the ventor motor start-up and spin freely, but I still get the 'pressure switch open indicator' flashing.

The Ventor motor part number - 373-20717-001 Ventor Assembly

Does anyone have any ideas on my next steps? How do I tell if the pressure switch is broken even if I hear the switch close when I blow in it?

Thanks for any suggestions!
pr1244883
New Contributor

- Pressure Switch Stuck Open

Postby pr1244883 » Sun May 15, 2011 4:25 pm

I stuck a coat hanger up the pvc pipe that was connected to the ventor motor until I couldn't reach anymore. I also checked the two pvc pipes outside and same thing, there was nothing I could see or feel blcoking either with a coat hanger. I have no idea how to check the tubes between the places I can't reach with the coat hanger howver.
pr1244883
New Contributor

Postby pr1244883 » Sun May 15, 2011 4:42 pm

I'm a little bit of a rookie here.... not sure what the vent pipes are.

I've replaced the furnace filter and didn't see anything blocking the bottomr of the intake.
pr1244883
New Contributor

Postby pr1244883 » Sun May 15, 2011 4:52 pm

They seem pretty installed and not easily removed haha

Is there any way I can test the pressure switch?

Or am I just going to have to call someone?
pr1244883
New Contributor

Postby cascadehvac » Mon May 16, 2011 5:47 pm

pressure switches stop furnace from working if there is a problem with the condensate as well. is the water from condensation getting out fo furnace ok?
cascadehvac
Regular Contributor

Postby stevereno » Mon May 16, 2011 10:09 pm

Drain lines typically cause the opposite...switch wont close... This problem I have seen on the LUX and the Lennox. The problem I experienced was an over run of the inducer. The inducer would spin long enough @ the end of the cycle that when the next call for heat came, it still had the pressure switch closed and the board recognized it as a fault... though technically it was not. The repair for both was a new board that prevented short cycling (heat)... Digital stats that are set in gas heat mode typically do not enable a time delay. Good luck.
stevereno
New Contributor

Postby stevereno » Mon May 16, 2011 10:13 pm

sorry about the above post... I read the initial problem incorrectly..STUCK OPEN.... it's late... sorry again...drain lines.
stevereno
New Contributor

Postby pr1244883 » Mon May 16, 2011 10:40 pm

Hi Steve,

The heat has now been off for over a day, and even now when I try to fire it up, the "pressure switch stuck open" is still registered.

I had to give up and a repairman will be here tomorrow evening. I'll keep you posted as to what they find.
pr1244883
New Contributor

Return to Residential