Fan on outside unit stops.

Problems related to residential installations.

Fan on outside unit stops.

Postby sschwall » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:27 am

Hello.

I am having an issue with the outside unit. Sometimes the fan will come on and sometimes it will not. Most of the time the unit will come on but the fan will not turn. We were able to go out there and manually spin it but it then stops after a few minutes. Now, it is hard to get it to spin and it sure has been a hot week down here in GA... Any ideas on what it could be? We are going later today to get whatever parts we may need but I figured I would see what someone else thought it may be before we go spend whatever amount of something we may not need. Please help!

Thank you very much.
sschwall
New Contributor

- Fan on outside unit stops.

Postby paw paw » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:37 am

sounds like the fan motor is bad, change fan motor and capacitor
paw paw
Regular Contributor

Postby sschwall » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:36 pm

We bought a new fan motor and they said the capaciter is good. still not working.... it does not do nothing at all.... any ideas?
sschwall
New Contributor

Postby paw paw » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:32 pm

does the compressor run ? double check your wiring.
paw paw
Regular Contributor

Postby sschwall » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:54 pm

no... nothing runs. he drew a diagram of how the wires were before he took them off. it may be the contacts. that makes sence... kind of like well points. i believe he said they were sticking and that is what happened to our well. find out tomorrow as the hardware store was closed already. small town...
sschwall
New Contributor

Postby paw paw » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:10 am

make sure you have 24volts going to the coil part of old contacts, on the call for cooling, to rule out any low voltage issues.
paw paw
Regular Contributor

Postby nomadpeo » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:49 pm

since this is not the technician link of the site, i'm assuming people addressing issues here are not technical and do not necessarily possess the training to be able to test electricical components safely. i think it's important to make the distinction here. only qualified people should be doing this type of testing.

you said sometimes the unit would come on, but not the fan. this would indicate that the contactor energizes, but the fan fails. you bought a motor and someone told you the capacitor was ok. if a motor fails, always replace the capacitor as well. i'm not sure who is advising, but you're back to square one. see what size capacitor the motor requires and replace it. if it still doesn't work, call a tehnician.

one more note. if a unit is equipped with a dual capacitor with 3 terminals, it has a 3 wire motor. if the motor is replaced with a shelf motor, it will be a 4 wire motor. without experience, it would be very easy to make a mistake in rewiring. it is possible this is the problem.
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential