Mysterious Fan Cut off

Problems related to residential installations.

Mysterious Fan Cut off

Postby pettittmj » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:15 pm

Hello every one. I have a luxaire EABD-F030SA unit.

I went to start the unit this year and the attic blower will run fine no problem. The outside unit is having problems.
When i start the air conditioning the outside unit will kick on and run for about 15-20 minutes before i notice the fan stops spinning. I replaced both the compacitor and start compacitor and had the wiring verified.

A "technician" came out and swapped out the fan motor with same results. Swapped out another one to replace the one he swapped same effect.
He then thought the problem was the circuit board. He bypassed the board and still same effect.

Usually when the fan cuts off you can still hear the compressor running for a little while after.

The tech verified that the freon level was fine but said the voltage being pulled from the fan is reading high on the board... on both fan motors.

Any suggestions.

thanks everyone.
pettittmj
New Contributor

- Mysterious Fan Cut off

Postby pettittmj » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:30 am

One more thing. It worked fine last year, and it hasn't sucessfully stayed on this year.

thanks
pettittmj
New Contributor

- Mysterious Fan Cut off

Postby cascadehvac » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:48 am

some units dont run the outside fan continously. it only runs when the refrigerent needs it to. does the unit cool the house ok? are you sure it didn't operate this way last year? if it is a problem with the unit and the fan has been replaced it must be the circuit board.
cascadehvac
Regular Contributor

- Mysterious Fan Cut off

Postby pettittmj » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:39 pm

No the house doesnt really seem to get any cooler in the twenty minutes it runs or so. After it turns off it definitly doesn't get any cooler. The fan montor was replaced with two seperate motors and the circuit board was bypassed for a while running power straight to the fan without the power first going to the circuit board.
pettittmj
New Contributor

- Mysterious Fan Cut off

Postby nomadpeo » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:38 pm

do you happen to know any other info from the 'technician', such as operating pressures or compressor behavior ?

i would get rid of the parts changer and get another tech. good luck.
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential