Outside condensing unit only working intermittantly

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Outside condensing unit only working intermittantly

Postby Basicman6598 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:40 pm

I have an amana RCC36A2B condensing unit that had been running fine. Now it only turns on every so often even though the thermostat is calling for cooling.
When it does turn on it works great. There is signal to the contactor but it does not pull in. I can push it in and everything comes on then off when I let go.
Could this be a week contactor or low freon? Or could it be something I am not catching? I don't have the guages to test the freon. Is there a way to check without the guages?
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Basicman6598
Minimal

- Outside condensing unit only working intermittantly

Postby nomadpeo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:41 am

you said the signal is there, but you have to push in the contactor to make it work. can you clarify ? if it is running on its own, then shutting down, it could be a pressure condition causing the signal to drop out. if it will only run when you push in the contactor, possibilities include aux drain pan float switch, thermostat, wire, circuit board, fuse, and contactor. this system probably needs to be checked out by a professional.
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

- Outside condensing unit only working intermittantly

Postby cascadehvac » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:08 pm

signal to contactor? there is 24 volts to contactor? if so, the contacor is bad. if not there is a problem preventing it from getting 24 volts. locked out somewhere. prolly just call a pro
cascadehvac
Regular Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum