Getting HVAC Bids--Advice,, Brands, things to look for, seer

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Getting HVAC Bids--Advice,, Brands, things to look for, seer

Postby kennykenny » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:06 pm

I am the market for a new HVAC system for my home(AC and Furnace). I have received a couple of bids thus far and of course I am being given bids for different brands. Any suggestions on one over another? I believe that a many are being made by a few mfgs. Should I steer myself toward one brand over another? My home is approx 1800 sq feet. What seer rating should I look for? Efficiency rating, size of ton coil for the furnace. I know that it is a waste of money to put a bigger size unit into a house that the duct work won't handle it. I have heared about the two stage system. Worth it? I am looking to get a 95% effficiency unit. Anyone educate me a bit more on this?

I was also given informtion about adding a "bigger" air filter to the unit which would allow you to only have to changed it a couple times a year. Worth it?

Thanks for any information that you can provide.
kennykenny
Minimal

- Getting HVAC Bids--Advice,, Brands, things to look for,

Postby nomadpeo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:17 am

equipment could be described as a box full of parts. the fact is that all the major competitors in this market use essentially the same technology. we contractors have our prejudices and are dealers of one brand or another, but to be honest, comparing apples to apples, the bells and whistles are all pretty much the same and the compressors and other parts are the same too. that said, i would suggest that you find a contractor who will modify your ducts if necessary to give you all the efficiency your equipment is designed for. air delivery and distribution as well as return air size are sorely ignored and overlooked issues. the cutting edge efficiency involves two speed compressor, variable speed blower and communicating thermostat. if you're going to invest for long term return, this type of next generation system is the best way to go. it is designed to be smart enough to control the humidity and the temperature through staging and ramping fan speed. the fan runs quieter and the power savings is significant. in my opinion, the difference in the price between this type of system at 16 seer compared with a 14 seer is worth it.
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

Postby cascadehvac » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:12 pm

the importance of SEER rating will depend on where you live and how much the ac will run. SEER rating is an efficincy rating and if you use ac 7 months or more out of the yoear the electricity saving can be a lot. if you only use it a few months then spending the extra on high SEER doesnt return you investment. multistage units make you home more comfortable. you need to decide if the extra comfort is worth the extra money. if you are changing your furnace, you should definitely install a 95% furnace
cascadehvac
Regular Contributor

Postby nomadpeo » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:49 am

agree with the idea of weighing out comfort, price and usage. that also applies to the furnace. in the houston area, we turn on heat for no more than two months out of the year. a 95% furnace is not necessarily the best choice. a higher seer ac system can be used with a 80% 2 stage furnace with variable speed blower. in climates where heat is used 6 months or more out of the year, definitely 95%. also, check for tax break programs in your state.
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum