Help With Lost Screws on Trane Heat Pump

Problems related to residential installations.

Help With Lost Screws on Trane Heat Pump

Postby homedoc » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:23 am

I am seeking help to identify some screws that are missing from my heat pump condenser unit. Yesterday while mowing around my Trane Weathertron XE1000 heat pump I noticed that several screws were missing on the side panel and around the top panel that houses the fan motor. Apparently the HVAC tech that serviced my unit last month did not replace all of the screws when he was done. I removed one of the screws and after doing some research on-line I found out this much about the - They are unslotted, indented, 5/16" hex head washer type, the threads are 1/2 inch in length and appear to be zinc or galvanized. There is a sharp point on the end. I went to my local big box stores but they did not have an exact duplicate. I can't tell if the size is #8 or #10 or some other size. I went to the local Grainger and Johnstone Supply and I was told they did not have an exact match either. Can anyone help me identify the exact name of this type of screw and the specifications and possibly give me a source on where to purchase these screws? Thanks!
homedoc
Minimal

- Help With Lost Screws on Trane Heat Pump

Postby Freon » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:42 pm

You might contact Trane directly with the make, model number and date of manufacture and see if they can get you the specs, A screw a little smaller in shaft diameter will most likely strip so you'll want to go slightly bigger than the existing diameter of the screw. The head type doesn't matter and the length can't be any longer but could possibly be a little shorter and still work.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

- Help With Lost Screws on Trane Heat Pump

Postby John T » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:53 pm

Simply go to ACE hardware and get 5/16" headed screws 1/2' in length and be done with it. They are not a unique screw!
John T
New Contributor

Return to Residential