Where are the jobs?

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Where are the jobs?

Postby jwh051 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:43 pm

I was talked into taking a HVAC/R course at a local tech college and would obtain gainful employment in an "ever growing and high demand field". I took the year long course, 4.0 average, EPA Universal Technician Certification. Also filed for bankruptcy due to no work while attending school. After I comleted schooling, discovered that all HVAC companies require 3-5 years experience. I was called 5 times by the Census Bureau to work for them, but was wasting my time in school. Bottom - to get into the HVAC/R career field, either be born or married into it. ROOKIES NEED NOT APPLY!!
jwh051
New Contributor

- Where are the jobs?

Postby nomadpeo » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:42 pm

what city do you live in ?
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

- Where are the jobs?

Postby jwh051 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:00 pm

Sumter, SC. I didn't mention the town because it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure the name of the so-called school.
jwh051
New Contributor

- Where are the jobs?

Postby heatseeker » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:35 pm

quit playing the victim and take some responsibility. Sometimes in life you have to fake it till you make it. Are you mech. skilled do you have dexterous hands if not maybe you should have wasted your time in a different school.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

- Where are the jobs?

Postby jwh051 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:47 am

To -
Let me tell you something right now. I don't have to be told to "take responsibility". I'm 60, retired USAF, so I know something about responsibility. My mistake was listening to the wrong people. And what do you mean "faking it"? Lie about knowledge and experience? That's a real solution (sarcasm). BTW, I was an electronic tech/supervisor when I was in the AF. I installed, overhauled and maintained radar systems with schematic books 5 inches thick, so yeah I have mechanical aptitude. I've also rebuilt the engine in my Scout, and the rear end of my Navigator and gearboxes for a local poultry processing plant.
jwh051
New Contributor

- Where are the jobs?

Postby paul292 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:31 am

I'm in the same situation . I do my own service. I installed my first AC this week and I had no previous work experience. What you gotta do is buy some tools and start marketing. I charge 70 dol for a service call and 25 for 1 lb of R22 and it takes me less than an hour to charge up a system . This way I make like 100/hr. I dont work too much but at least getting my money back that I invested in school and tools. Just be on your own don't look for somebody to give you a job. I'm 22 , you're 60 you should try your luck!
paul292
New Contributor

- Where are the jobs?

Postby jwh051 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:51 pm

-
While I totally agree with you in principle, unfortunately, reality has a bad habit of rearing its ugly head. You haven't been around long enough to make disastrous financial decisions as I have. I would barely afford a set of gauges, let alone tanks of refrigerant, vacuum pumps, etc., and banks don't loan to bankrupt individuals.
jwh051
New Contributor

- Where are the jobs?

Postby nomadpeo » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:51 pm

unfortunately, most companies would tend to hire younger people. life experience is way underrated. i prefer to hire people with some people skills and good analytical skills that can only come from living. with your technical background, you are far more capable of picking up troubleshooting than many young guys who have little confidence in their abilities because their skills are not honed yet. now that i know your age, i can understand your frustration, especially being financially strapped. don't give up though. there are many ways to be involved in this business. if you want to own your own business, make sure you are following the rules of your state. i'm in texas and you can't do service for money without a licensed contractor in the company. i don't know how it is in sc. here it is a highly protected industry. contractors here are more willing to hire people out of school because there is so much service being done wrong. it is cost effective to field train people who have studied the basics and understand how the systems work. there are also hospitals and other industry related positions you could check out. even if you work at an apartment complex taking care of ac calls, it will give you some hands on experience. you can come here for advice. not all of us will put you down. i don't know if you are in a position to relocate, sometimes it is necessary to go where the work is. although it is slow in the winter for a couple months, for the most part, there are not enough of us during the hot months in houston. sometimes it is encouragement we need. i don't need to tell you that it is ultimately you who will sell yourself. don't asume your training was wasted. your age may be a challenge, but without the training, you have no chance. with it, you just need to find the right opportunity. it could be your next interview. good luck.
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

- Where are the jobs?

Postby heatseeker » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:09 am

jwh051 -
> To -
> Let me tell you something right now. I don't have to be told to "take
> responsibility". I'm 60, retired USAF, so I know something about
> responsibility. My mistake was listening to the wrong people. And what do
> you mean "faking it"? Lie about knowledge and experience? That's
> a real solution (sarcasm). BTW, I was an electronic tech/supervisor when I
> was in the AF. I installed, overhauled and maintained radar systems with
> schematic books 5 inches thick, so yeah I have mechanical aptitude. I've
> also rebuilt the engine in my Scout, and the rear end of my Navigator and
> gearboxes for a local poultry processing plant.
See that"s what I'm trying to tell you, you rode on the coat tails of the govt. for 20 plus years and now your mad at the world because you got talked into going to trade school. REALITY CHECK IS your 60 how can you be naive enough to listen to anybody's advise without further investigation. You knew you had to have tools for the trade didn't you? You can always buy used tools at the pawn shop Lord knows I've left a few there. And at 60 years old do you think you can maneuver in a hot attic say 125 130 degrees or didn't they tell you that in the air force. Oh if you are so called retired what happened to your pension, or did you get a big chicken dinner? Why are you even filling for bankruptcy? Did you let a lawyer talk you into that too? How did that work out, they taking money out of your retirement? Mabye you should get a new spiritual counselor. You could always teach you know the old saying.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

- Where are the jobs?

Postby nomadpeo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:46 pm

come on now heatseeker. you may not realize it, but career military is not a freeloading operation. they are underpaid and well trained. a little appreciation here. we are all in this boat and it's not good to kick a man when he's down. just an opinion. i don't know how old you are, but god forbid you should ever be between a rock and a hard place and have someone in a better position suggest you are useless because you are 60. the internet allows the world to be a little smaller. why don't we use the technology to promote a better attitude toward one another instead of the hatefulness. where i come from you are both my brothers. bleeding heart ? maybe. or maybe sometimes people need to speak up for what they believe right where they live. things may get worse before they get better in this country. there really is strength in unity. i say let's act like we are fellow americans and count our blessings rather than dealing out grief. be kind and make a difference. it's not that hard. like i said, an opinion. we all got one and we can express them. god bless america, right ?
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

Next

Return to HVAC General Forum