Lennox System

Problems related to residential installations.

Lennox System

Postby Bgold » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:28 pm

My contractor is suggesting I replace my existing unit with a Lennox XP21 Heat Pump and a CBX32MV Air Handler along with the Harmony 3 Zoning System. Its alot of $$ and I dont hear good things about Lennox. Is any body familiar with this system that you can give me some feed back. My existing Trane XL1800 is failing... I would like to replace with a Trane but the new units are very tall and would be approx. 6" higher than the bottom of the window it sits under. No where else to move the unit. Any feed back would be much appreciated.
Bgold
New Contributor

- Lennox System

Postby heatseeker » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:54 am

REMEMBER THE MORE BELLS AND WHISTLES THAT YOU HAVE ON A UNIT THE MORE PROBLEMS CAN OCCUR. Even if there is a warranty what good is that if you dont have heat or cooling when you need it? Lennox is a great product but I would keep it simple when it comes to new technology.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

- Lennox System

Postby Freon » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:36 am

I second Heatseeker's recommendations 1,000%. My acronym is KISS... Keep It Simple Stupid. New technology sounds great and looks great on paper. But do you want to be a new technology beta tester when it's 0 degrees outside in February or 95 in July? And how many techs will be familiar with this technology? Owning a BMW is fun until it breaks and the only place to fix it is a BMW dealer whereas a Toyota can be fixed almost anywhere.

And why did this company feel your old system needed replacement? I suggest you get a few other assessments and estimates.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

- Lennox System

Postby heatseeker » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:22 am

nice to see freon posting, I am not alone
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

- Lennox System

Postby Bgold » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:52 pm

Freon
It was my idea to start looking, (I live in central florida) the current unit is going on 14 years, the fan motor went and I was quoted $1,200 to replace. My thinking is its like having an older car.. it starts breaking down all the time and you keep dumping money into it.
Plus my house is 3,200 sf and a 5 ton unit is is really pushing it. Looking at Lenox and carrier, either two units or one unit with zoning. I have no experience with HVAC so Im taking in a lot of info. As I search the internet for info I find much more complaints about lennox and carrier than I do Trane. Im learning from all the info I gather hear that both units are good but it really depends on the installer.
Thanks for the info
Bgold
New Contributor

- Lennox System

Postby nomadpeo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:22 pm

think system. a unit is just a component in a system of components. correct and effective heat transfer depends on a lot of factors including well designed duct system. regardless of the brand you buy, if you go with upper end technology, make sure someone is matching these components properly and the ducts are adequately upgraded as well if they need it.

believe it or not, it is possible that a higher seer, 2 stage system with a variable speed blower and humidity sensing could suit your needs if designed properly and your house is well sealed and insulated. architecture, windows, insulation and a host of other issues should be evaluated. a manual j may be necessary.

the obvious advantage of 2 systems besides better addressing your specific heat load areas, is the fact that if one goes down, you are not dead in the water. you have to weigh out the cost vs the advantages. zoning works in some applications. in the wrong application, it can be a nightmare. try to gain some understanding of exactly how it will work in your situation before you commit to the idea. this will require someone to consult with you and lay out some suggestions. ask a lot of questions. ultimately, if you use the wrong contractor, you will be paying for that mistake for a long time. good luck.

by the way, i would avoid the guy with a $1200 fan motor.
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

- Lennox System

Postby heatseeker » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:11 am

$1200.00 for a fan motor. I bet his drug dealer is happy. Holy cow is this the same dude who quoted the lennox system? He's trying to work you over.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

- Lennox System

Postby nomadpeo » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:30 pm

i would hate to see what he would charge for an entire system. fyi, bgold, a motor changeout would be no more than $450 on the high end.
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential