New unit, stuck at 77 degrees...Air filter issues?

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

New unit, stuck at 77 degrees...Air filter issues?

Postby Echohammer419 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:10 pm

I just got a Goodman 13 SEER 2 Ton Dual fuel heat pump installed. Everything seemed to be working great...until I noticed that when I set the thermostat at 77 degrees, the unit would never shut off (well, it would shut off for about 5 minutes, but I think that's due to some safety feature). Bottom line, I've never gotten my house below 77 degrees. Everything feels cool, but it just concerns me that the unit keeps running. I currently live in a 1050 square foot house. I do have a partially finished basement with vents (400 square feet).

My question is concerning the air filter. I got a sick feeling in my stomach that maybe I should have gone with a 2.5 ton, and as such am suffering from too little air being blown (although it feels forceful enough). I removed the air filter, and just a few minutes ago the unit finally reached 76 degrees. I'm using some micro allergy filter thing, so could I possibly buy a cheaper air filter to not be so restrictive? Would that help at all?

Also, is there anyway to check the fan speed? Is it possible that the fan is set to medium instead of high? Not sure if there is such a setting, but any advice would be great, as we just doled out $2900 bucks for this thing.
Echohammer419
New Contributor

- New unit, stuck at 77 degrees...Air filter issues?

Postby heatseeker » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:18 am

Yes if it did cool off without the restricted filter I would downgrade it.Also there are different fan speeds but yours is probably set right. Now, is the basement in addition to your 1050 sq. ft. or together? Slower fan speed will take out more moisture but your temp will stay a few degrees higher as opposed to a faster fan speed which will be cooler but have higher moister.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Postby Echohammer419 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:14 pm

The house is comprised of 1050 sq ft on the main level. The basement is also 1050 sq ft, but half is finished and half is not. The finished half is also vented, but I choose to keep all of them closed as it would seem better to redirect all of the air to the main level.
Echohammer419
New Contributor

Postby aircooledtx » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:27 pm

Echohammer419 -
> I just got a Goodman 13 SEER 2 Ton Dual fuel heat pump installed.
> Everything seemed to be working great...until I noticed that when I set the
> thermostat at 77 degrees, the unit would never shut off (well, it would
> shut off for about 5 minutes, but I think that's due to some safety
> feature). Bottom line, I've never gotten my house below 77 degrees.
> Everything feels cool, but it just concerns me that the unit keeps running.
> I currently live in a 1050 square foot house. I do have a partially
> finished basement with vents (400 square feet).
>
> My question is concerning the air filter. I got a sick feeling in my
> stomach that maybe I should have gone with a 2.5 ton, and as such am
> suffering from too little air being blown (although it feels forceful
> enough). I removed the air filter, and just a few minutes ago the unit
> finally reached 76 degrees. I'm using some micro allergy filter thing, so
> could I possibly buy a cheaper air filter to not be so restrictive? Would
> that help at all?
>
> Also, is there anyway to check the fan speed? Is it possible that the fan
> is set to medium instead of high? Not sure if there is such a setting, but
> any advice would be great, as we just doled out $2900 bucks for this thing.

I would ask for company to come out that installed the unit, get Delta^T readings.. All pleat/type high allergy filters require extra airflow due to the restriction;try using throw/away 1" filter.
aircooledtx
Most Valued Contributor

Postby nomadpeo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:59 am

standard pleated filters from hd will keep your air clean enough. if you have extreme allergy issues, you can install an ultra-violet filter for that. have someone measure the static pressure across your blower using a magnahelic. this info and the manufacturer's blower specification chart will determine the fan speed that should be used. also, make sure the freon level is rechecked.
nomadpeo
Most Valued Contributor

Postby dave34 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:43 pm

Regardless of the type of air filters, I would assume a new unit would cool your house to a temperature lower than 77. I would be on the phone to the company that installed your heat pump. Did the installation company recommend you go with the 2 ton as opposed to the 2.5 ton?
dave34
New Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum