R22 Charging question

Problems related to residential installations.

R22 Charging question

Postby tekgrl79 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:50 pm

I had a friend help recharge my system which is a 3 1/2 split unit, however I noticed when he did he would tip the jug upside down and fill liquid on the low end, the question I have is we have noticed since then it loses alot of freon, and shiney oily residue on the bottom 5 coils on left and right side of tend to get that way before it starts freezing up and causing it to be low again, could the liquid on the low end cause this? if so would pumping the system empty and recharging it the right way help? Someone told me you dont put liquid in the low end and I was wanting some advice or help.
tekgrl79
Minimal

- R22 Charging question

Postby heatseeker » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:32 am

sounds like a big leak old dude should have checked it.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

- R22 Charging question

Postby surenuff » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:15 am

Yes, charging with bottle upside down is prefered. This does not mean he actually put liquid into the compressor. The liquid flashes as it goes through the guages, the hoses, the shraiders, etc..... That bug of a leak is something he should have found though.
surenuff
Regular Contributor

- R22 Charging question

Postby jerryjerryt » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:55 am

Seems to me that with R22 he should not have done that. He could easily have got liquid to the compressor where the compressor could have caused an intermittent pressure spike thus causing a leak. R22 should NOT be filled with the tank upside down ie. with liquid.
jerryjerryt
Minimal

- R22 Charging question

Postby heatseeker » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:51 pm

jerryjerryt -
> Seems to me that with R22 he should not have done that. He could easily
> have got liquid to the compressor where the compressor could have caused an
> intermittent pressure spike thus causing a leak. R22 should NOT be filled
> with the tank upside down ie. with liquid.
yea right, if you do it right it won't hurt anything. You are just trying to quote you textbook.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

- R22 Charging question

Postby MTI STUDENT » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:34 am

hmmmm its my understanding that if the system is low then you leak check with soap bubbles before you add more , and when you find the leak you fix it first then add more . just saying
MTI STUDENT
Most Valued Contributor

- R22 Charging question

Postby heatseeker » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:35 am

theduke03 -
> Wow jerryjerryt I'm not sure you know enough to be advising here! If you
> were my apprentice and I saw you charging r22 vapor I would ridicule you
> and make you clean my truck.
well mti it is wise to charge with r-22 vapor if you have the time and there is enough pressure in the bottle. Also, I charge with liquid when the system requires a lot of freon then when I get to where it needs to be I change over to vapor that way I can zone it in just right.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

- R22 Charging question

Postby heatseeker » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:40 am

MTI STUDENT -
> hmmmm its my understanding that if the system is low then you leak check
> with soap bubbles before you add more , and when you find the leak you fix
> it first then add more . just saying
Ahh how life is perfect when you read the book. In reality most leaks are difficult to find let alone fix. In some cases yea you can find them but what if the leak is in the evap or condenser coil where it's very difficult to repair. Maybe the people can't afford new equipment or labor to repair hard to find leaks. In most cases fill er up get paid and wait till next year to either do it again or replace the equipment. You can clean my truck now.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

- R22 Charging question

Postby MTI STUDENT » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:47 pm

have had the fortune of actually having a leaking a coil in class and yes its a B1*tch to find lol point taken ty
MTI STUDENT
Most Valued Contributor

- R22 Charging question

Postby heatseeker » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:40 am

try doing it in an attic on your side with no breathing room. Plus that coil in class has been leaking for the past ten years. everyone knew where the leak was.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Next

Return to Residential