installing wood furnace

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

installing wood furnace

Postby 3boysmom » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:48 pm

My husband and I want to install a wood furnace in our basement where a propane gas boiler used to be. THe gas boiler is currently vented through a shared masonry chimney that sits in the middle of my single story ranch house. There is a wood fireplace on the main floor that we have never used, but is still open. What kind of stovepipe do we need to use to vent the wood furnace? We will be hooking the wood furnsce to ductwork in our basement
3boysmom
Minimal

- installing wood furnace

Postby heatseeker » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:53 pm

Sounds like a tricky situation, get an expert I don't think your husband and you are qualified to install this contraption. Could be dangerous for all involved.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

- installing wood furnace

Postby Freon » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:55 pm

You need to check the local building codes regarding venting more than one device into a single flue. It is very tricky, as heatseeker says, and you'll want to follow the code so your insurance company can't deny any claim should there be an accident.

One thought is consider a fireplace insert for heat. It's simpler to do and could be a more cost effective way to go. Also consider a coal burning insert, if coal is available to you.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum