"O" Wire without a heat-pump?

Problems related to residential installations.

"O" Wire without a heat-pump?

Postby adhurwitz » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:45 pm

I just bought a Honeywell RCT8101 thermostat. I do not have a heat-pump, I have 2 a/c units (1 controls the upstairs, 1 controls downstairs - they each have there own thermostats), I have electric a/c and gas heat. The house is 6 years old and I just wanted a thermostat that was more programmable then what came with the house.

Old - Y, W, G, RH (2 wires connected, but one jumpered to RC), B and O

The new - Y, W, G, R (I put the RH in, it is jumpered to RC). In the "alternate wiring" it says to put the B into C. But, no place for O. When I turn to the heat-pump wiring, there is an O.

So, from what I can figure out from the installation manual, the only time I would have an "O" wire is if I have a heat pump. Is that correct? If so, do I just need to put electrical tape on it and not connect it?

Thanks in advance!
adhurwitz
Minimal

- "O" Wire without a heat-pump?

Postby heatseeker » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:25 pm

W-whitw * heat
r-rc red wire *
y-yellow *
g-green wire *
Is this a battery operated or does it need a common? If it needs a common consult local hvac guy or girl, if not you should be good to go. do not hook any wires to c or o if you do not know what you are doing.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Postby Freon » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:40 pm

Wire the thermostat like the old one and tape the O wire. You have a battery powered thermostat. You only need the Y, W, G, R ( jumpered to RC), as heatseeker said.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby adhurwitz » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:33 pm

Thank you both for your replies and your time!!
adhurwitz
Minimal

Return to Residential