Old Lennox hard wired for A/C now i need heat!

Problems related to residential installations.

Old Lennox hard wired for A/C now i need heat!

Postby dragonslit » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:48 pm

Had a buddy hard wire the furnace for ac when our unit kept going out. now it only blows cold and wont shut off at the thermostat. i can take pics of the wiring job i just need to know how to reverse what he did so we can have heat. its about to snow and we have a disabled person in the home any help would be greatly appreciated.
dragonslit
Minimal

- Old Lennox hard wired for A/C now i need heat!

Postby Freon » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:16 pm

What kind of furnace or boiler do you have... make/model? What type of thermostat do you have? What do you mean by 'hard wired'?
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby dragonslit » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:37 pm

serial number 5887610646 model number 612Q3-82-4 category 1 central furnace forced air natural gas with a honywell thermostat is that enough information? and by hard wired i mean he opened up the furnace and bypassed the upstairs thermostat so that i have to turn the furnace on and off at the break box. he actually went to the R W Y G and T and cut and rearranged them to a different order and so that my previously mentioned statement would work.
dragonslit
Minimal

Postby heatseeker » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:47 pm

I think he means t-stat jumped out.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Postby Freon » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:56 pm

Search the Internet for your thermostat and you will see how to wire it correctly to the furnace. However I suspect it won't run the heat correctly and that's why your friend hard-wired the system. So once you have the thermostat wired correctly, tell us what happens.

Usually the control wires from the thermostat to the furnace are colored to correspond to the terminal letters... red wire to the R terminal on the thermostat and at the furnace, green wire to the G terminal and so forth. Make sure there are no splices to the red wire at the 'stat is the same wire(red) at the furnace.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential