Did technicians put enough freon in my A/C unit?

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Did technicians put enough freon in my A/C unit?

Postby fauxcomfort » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:29 pm

I just had to replace the condenser coil on my Goodman GPH1460H41 because it was leaking freon. The invoice says that the technician recovered 10lbs of refrigerant and then installed 10lbs. I climbed up on the roof after they left and according to the data plate my unit's refrigerant capacity is 12.5lbs (200 oz). What happened to the other 2.5 lbs of refrigerant? Is my unit now at full capacity after the 10lbs was restored or does it need more refrigerant?
fauxcomfort
Minimal

- Did technicians put enough freon in my A/C unit?

Postby heatseeker » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:42 pm

Most techs don't weight charge in unless they are trained well. So ten pounds is a round number that he used. You can make him come out and recover and recharge but then you'll be right back where you started.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Postby fauxcomfort » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:50 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I guess my question is that given that my unit has been leaking, wouldn't he have had to add more freon into the unit than what he removed?
fauxcomfort
Minimal

Postby heatseeker » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:55 pm

You do not know how much he removed and neither does he because he didn't use a scale, But like I said your unit is fine, If you have any doubts call the company and tell them to weight the charge into the unit.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Postby Freon » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:11 pm

It doesn't matter how much he removed. The only true way to charge an AC system is by using gauges. If you are getting good cold air, let it slide. If you think the system worked better at a time before, call the tech back and have him charge the system the correct way.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby heatseeker » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:13 am

I assumed this is a package unit which if it holds that much freon I think it is anyways with package units a weighed in charge is the best way to go.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Postby moshei » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:11 am

A no and a yes..!?
I guess..,yes ,I agree that most of the techs don't weight..!
As an owner of the unit,you must ask and check it..!
moshei
Regular Contributor

Postby Big » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:17 pm

System are charged by either Sub-cooling or super heat , In most cases a drop-in charge is installed , than the system is charge by previous method . Sub-Cooling and / or Super-heat is used to give the critical charge (the the perfect charge the manfacture wants) Any tech worth his weight wil be able to explain this to you . If he can't send him on his way.
Big
Regular Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum