Please help. My pilot light went out on furnace.

Problems related to residential installations.

- Please help. My pilot light went out on furnace.

Postby how » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:41 pm

If you only see an on & off position on the gas valve controls, you don't have a standing pilot to manually relight.
Try turning off the power to the unit for a couple of minutes. Then turn it back on and turn up the thermostat. If it is an electronic ignition system it will probably relight itself and fire up. You would normally hear a clicking sound and possibly see the sparking of the igniter at the pilot assy. The pilot should light, the clicking sounds will slow down and within the time that the pilot system electrically confirms an established pilot, the main burners should come on.
Stand in front of the furnace and tell us what unfolds.
how
Most Valued Contributor

Postby how » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:56 pm

There are a lot of things we don't know yet.
You probably have some limit switches on the furnace with a reset button to try first. These would be small controls with two wires (Usually red) attached to them. On that unit there is usually one on the underside of the draft diverter. Try pushing in that button on the back of the safety control. If it goes in with a click sound the furnace will probably start firing up.
NEXT
We also don't know if the furnace is actually getting power. Do you hear a small huming sound from the furnace? Most furnaces have an on/off switch some where between the furnace and the closest access door to the furnace area. It will usually be higher up than a regular light switch. See if you can find it and confirm that it's "on". Following the main furnace power feed back from the furnace may help give an idea where it is.
If you have a summer fan switch around or in the furnace/ or have a thermostat control that will start up the blower then you've also confirmed that there is 120V to the furnace.

And we don't know if your thermostat is actually working. Taking the thermostat off the base to expose the wire connecting screws and jumpering the ones marked (W & R) to each other will bypass the thermostat.
how
Most Valued Contributor

Postby Freon » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:22 pm

Watch this Youtube - *.*/watch?* (or simply Google carrier 58GS and you'll see a few videos)

You will see the spark ignite the small pilot. Then in a minute, the main burners light. You should see and hear the spark on your furnace. If not, check all the wiring to the ignitor unit . Have someone call for heat while you are at the furnace watching and listening.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential