LP Tank question

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

LP Tank question

Postby darkstar » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:04 pm

Ok, here's the deal. I have a gas furnace (installed last year) that is converted to run on LP gas (because natural gas is not available in my area). Anyhow, my tank is almost empty and my LP provider won't be bringing me a delivery until next week. Is it possible for me to run it temporarily off of a 20lb. propane tank? If not, is there a way to easily "fill" my larger (100 gallon) tank by transferring from the 20lb. tank a couple of times?

I know none of this is ideal, just looking for a solution to keep me running for a few days until I get refilled.
darkstar
Minimal

- LP Tank question

Postby Freon » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:23 pm

What you need to know is what the pressure regulator is set to for each tank. I do not know but have a feeling the big tank may have a different pressure setting than the small one. And even if they are the same you have a question about the fittings at the tanks. I think you'll find them different.

Your best bet, rather than play with gas transfers, unknown pressures and mismatched fittings, may be to find a supplier who can deliver sooner. You may pay a little more but the hassle factor will be infinitely less.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

- LP Tank question

Postby MTI STUDENT » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:38 pm

as well as every time you open that gas line you are letting air in and will lose propane and cause headaches bleeding it off
MTI STUDENT
Most Valued Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum