Resistane on wires for blower motor

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Resistane on wires for blower motor

Postby dough » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:07 pm

Blower motor will not come on. I have checed the resistance on all the motor leads and they are 3.6 ohms or less. One of the wires to the capacitor reads the same as others while the last wire going to capacitor reads 36.8 ohms. Is my motor bad? My multimeter cannot check capacitance on the capacitor so at a loss there for now until my parts store opens on Monday. Help its getting cold in the house!!!!!!!!
dough
Minimal

- Resistane on wires for blower motor

Postby dough » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:22 pm

Capacitor checks good with Ohm meter. I think it is the motor since one of the leads that goes to the capacitor is reading 10 times the resistance than any of the other wires coming off the motor. I made my checks with the motor completely disconnected from the furnace.
dough
Minimal

Postby Freon » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:26 pm

If there's an electric motor shop close by, have them check it out. Unless you can smell anything like burning rubber or insulation and the motor shaft spins freely and quietly (no bad bearings), I would suspect the capacitor. Try changing the speed setting (use another tap on the motor (there are usually 2 to 3 speeds) and see if it runs. If it does run, more likely a bad motor winding. If it doesn't run, more likely the capacitor.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby heatseeker » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:45 am

briliant
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum