Boiler shuts off for no reason

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Boiler shuts off for no reason

Postby dani » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:45 pm

______________________________________________________________________ We have a gas fired Crown Aruba boiler. It is only 2 years old. The boiler runs usually one day and shuts down . We click the off on switch and it kicks right back on. We had out a couple different people out to fix the problem but hey have no idea what the cause is. We have spent lots of money on there guess's but nothing worked so far.. Taz had the same question under boiler shut down in January 2011
but never replied on how it was fixed.. Taz if your out there can you help me out or any one else with and idea im tired of having to turn the switch off and on every day. Thank you.. Replies
dani
New Contributor

- Boiler shuts off for no reason

Postby dani » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:21 am

Thanks but ive tried it off and on when they came and they still dont find anything..
Or what they did find hasnt helped the problem yet..
dani
New Contributor

Postby Freon » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:27 pm

Do you have a standing pilot or intermittent ignition? Check the flue to be sure it's all clean. Two possible causes are flame roll-out and flame (pilot) sensing circuit.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby how » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:09 pm

A picture of your boiler set up would help.
I am assuming you don't have a board diagnostic led that is flashing a fault code when your unit locks out.
Flame sensor should be checked & cleaned if its intermitant ignition.
Limit & roll out switches are the next likely culprits but you can eliminated the roll outs if they have their own manual resets.
Depending on how its wired, the vent damper switches that confirms an open vent during firing can cause a lock out.
how
Most Valued Contributor

Postby dani » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:04 pm

Thanks i made a copy to give the guy when he comes out of the suggestions and let ya know what happens..
One guy did mention the damper wasnt opening and closing like it should but acted like no big deal i will have them re check..
Thanks for your help..
dani
New Contributor

Postby how » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:30 pm

If they do run out of possibilities, ask them if the vent damper can be locked open. This can often be done through the manual set up control on the vent damper. Make sure they check the internal electrical connections for looseness on the switches that confirm that the damper is open. Damper lockout problems can also be mechanical from faulty vent motors, linkages or from the damper scraping against against the vent before it fully opens.
If your boiler then runs trouble free with the vent damper locked open over the next few days you'll know that the boiler lock outs are related to that part of your system.
how
Most Valued Contributor

Postby dani » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:55 pm

Well gave the repair guy all your suggestions and he said he had tried them all even keeping the damper open constantly.
So this time his guess was a new ignitar module which ended up being ANOTHER expensive wrong guess..
At first i thought success cuz it ran 30 hours but then it shut down.. This time the water gauge level even went to 10 .
I guess give up and get a new one before i end up spending double tring to fix a 2 yr old boiler.. Doesnt say much for
a Crown Boiler thats for sure..
dani
New Contributor

Postby dani » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:56 pm

Also he said the ignitar module that blinks the code would have to be re wired to work.
As of now when it shuts down there's no blinking green lite.
One day it blinked twice slow then 8 fast.
Today one slow 8 fast..
dani
New Contributor

Postby Freon » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:38 pm

What is the make and model of the control board(s) for the boiler? Is it the Honeywell S8600 shown on the boiler installation instructions ( Model ABF-EID)?
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby dani » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:29 pm

Model is AW1095 , Honeywell Board S8610
8 blinks means low input voltage thats what side of the box says.
Directions for code says Check transformer for proper input voltage to the control. Check with full system load on transformer.
Shouldnt that mean something to the furnace guy ?
dani
New Contributor

Next

Return to HVAC General Forum