Boiler shuts off for no reason

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

- Boiler shuts off for no reason

Postby Freon » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:28 pm

You can turn off the power to the boiler at the circuit breaker box. Then check every connection, wire-nut or otherwise, from the circuit breaker box to the furnace. Are there any other loads on that circuit? Most furnaces/boilers like to have a branch from the main box all to themselves.

See if the location of the 8610 is such that it can get very hot when the boiler is operating. Heat kills electronics and many ignition modules die a premature death do to poor location by the designers.

Is there any other appliance in the house that, even if on a different circuit, draws a large start up current? I am thinking mostly of a very large motor... water pump, especially if 120 volts, or anything that could cause a house-wide voltage drop (you'll notice the house lights either dim or get brighter when the load starts) that could cause the transformer secondary voltage to drop enough for the error. How is the service drop to the house? Are you in a salt air environment? Possibly corroded connections at the power company's transformer is causing the neutral to float.

If all the basic 120/240 service to the house seem to be healthy I think you may have a sick s8610. You can replace the transformer first, if you like... it'll be cheaper, and see if that helps.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby dani » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:24 pm

We live in ohio so no salt in the air. We already put on the new S8610U box and it ran for a couple hours longer than quit. They are right on the outside side of the burner so i can see how they can get to hot.. There is no other load on in the house because we dont live there we are trying to remodel it but not getting far since its the middle of winter and the heat's off everyday when we get there.. I have to drive 25 miles everyday to turn it back on to run for the couple hours it does just so the pipes dont burst.. I dont think it has its own branch off the electical box . The repair guy is now saying whatever it can be is very expensive to fix (some kinda board) When you flip the on off switch this little square metal thing close's when you shut if off and when you turn it on it opens and gets the pump and the pilot going so when it stops running the little square thing still stays open so whatever that means he said will cost alot to fix. So saturday we are having a electrician out to look at to see if he can figure something out before we waste more useless money on trying to fix it....So hopefully we will get to the bottom of the problem somehow..
dani
New Contributor

Postby Freon » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:51 pm

Who installed the S8610U? What was the old control removed? I point you to page 5 of the S8610U installation manual. Be sure the transformer secondary, switched leg, is wired properly based on the old control unit. Also note the Procedural Notes, far right column regarding vent damper wiring. I hope your problem may be resolved by checking these directions.

You might also consider using antifreeze in your heating system. That way if there's ever a power outage due to an ice storm, you won't have to worry. Water pipes are quick to drain and antifreeze in traps is easy to pour to keep the house safe when you leave.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby john_rambo » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:04 am

OK..when you take the cabinet door off...and bend down...can you see open flames? or are the flames behind glass?...what color is the flame? The cabinet is the shhet metal that covers the entire boiler. Are there openings in it or is it completely solid? Sorry for so many questions...but it should help me figure out what is going on. Thanks, Mark
john_rambo
New Contributor

Postby dani » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:31 am

Furnace guy put on the new S8601U part.
If i take the door off i see the flame, there's no glass infront of it but i dont live in the house so right now so i cant tell you what the flame looks like . Gas guy came out and uped the gas pressure but that didnt help.
Today repair guy is going to change the aquastat relay thats what a "Crown tech" told him to try so we'll see if thats it but i doubt it...
dani
New Contributor

Postby Freon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:51 pm

When did the furnace guy replace the S86 control board? When did the furnace start having these problems? Did the furnace guy leave the S86 installation instructions with you?
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby dani » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:23 pm

Well im not holding my breath but its been working 30 hours since changeing the Aquastat relay yesterday so hopefully that was the problem..
Crown said the Aquastat relay L8148E 1257 was known to have cracks in the solder which would explain why they arent kept in stock and they are
replacing them with the 1265. If it runs another day or 2 i'll know its fixed.. Thanks everyone for your help..
dani
New Contributor

Previous

Return to HVAC General Forum