heater shuts off and back on 3 times

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

heater shuts off and back on 3 times

Postby rkfguard » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:54 pm

i have a day & night forced air heater unit 394jaz...for the last few months, when i turn the heater on, it does everything correct and reaches the appropriate temp, then shuts off like it should,then 2 seconds later the fan comes on for 2 seconds and shuts off,,then back on for 1 sec then off...then it stays off....i have a 2 story house with the same unit downstairs...so i switched the control board, no change..then changed the limit switch part 430-1441 stemco...that made no difference.....what else can i check...thanks
rkfguard
New Contributor

- heater shuts off and back on 3 times

Postby heatseeker » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:44 am

how old is this furnace? Does it have an ignition control or standing pilot?
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Postby rkfguard » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:39 pm

its 20 years old and has an electronic control module
rkfguard
New Contributor

Postby Freon » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:16 pm

Check to see if the fan control mechanism isn't in a 3"x5" metal box mounted on the front of the furnace where the heat exchanger is. If you have that type of control, you can easily remove the box cover and you'll see a dial calibrated in degrees Fahrenheit with 3 pointers that slide along the dial. Those pointers are for starting and stopping the blower as well at the upper safety limit. Sometimes the blower will cool the heat exchanger to where the fan control will turn off the blower (the lowest slider setting on the dial). But residual heat in the firebox and heat exchanger can increase the temperature just enough to trigger the blower to start again (middle slider setting). It runs briefly cooling the heat exchanger down to the lower setting (blower off) and that's usually the end. By adjusting the lower setting, fan off, to a slightly lower temperature, you can usually stop that behavior.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby rkfguard » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:13 pm

i have no 3x5 metal box there....the only thing in the heat exchange area is the limit switch and the plastic box control module..which i have ruled out as defective...
rkfguard
New Contributor

Postby Freon » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:15 pm

"i have a 2 story house with the same unit downstairs...so i switched the control board, no change..then changed the limit switch part 430-1441 stemco...that made no difference.....what else can i check...thanks"

Since you have changed most of the best candidates without success, the last source for blower activation is the thermostat. Can you possibly swap those? I know it's a pita but it will save useless waste of money if you can. Please be sure to turn off power to both furnaces. Hopefully the thermostats are the same and you can swap only the head units.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby rkfguard » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:38 pm

ive tried 2 different thermostats, with no sucess....i do have wiring that can change the blower fan speed...i dont know if that will do anything....
rkfguard
New Contributor

Postby rkfguard » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:48 pm

i do have another control board part number ceso 110018-18..when i looked it up it says its a fan control board...could that be bad and causing my problems
rkfguard
New Contributor

Postby rkfguard » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:48 pm

i do have another control board part number ceso 110018-18..when i looked it up it says its a fan control board...could that be bad and causing my problems
rkfguard
New Contributor

Postby Freon » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:48 pm

Since you are having fan issues and have ruled out everything else, the fan control board is a very good candidate. Can you swap it with the one at the other furnace? Remember, always do any work with power-off.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Next

Return to HVAC General Forum