Crazy Banging Noise that Service Guy Cant Fix After 3 Visits

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

Crazy Banging Noise that Service Guy Cant Fix After 3 Visits

Postby dmfelder » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:57 pm

I have a problem that has persisted for several years. Each year, a service guy tries another solution. The heater bangs like crazy, and it's not the ductwork. We have cleaned it, replaced the mother board, checked the gas pressure, checked the voltages, cleaned the flame sensor, and replaced the gas valve, to no avail.

Here is a video I posted online. It's pretty dramatic. Any ideas? *. com/Furnace_Banging_Noise.wmv
dmfelder
Minimal

- Crazy Banging Noise that Service Guy Cant Fix After 3 Vi

Postby Freon » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:09 pm

First, to those trying to get the URL, there's a space before the C in * that needs to be removed for URL to work.

The noise sure sounds like the gas valve. Now the flame sensor could be the problem or the control board or a loose wire. Check all the wiring to the gas valve and to and from the flame sensor. Make sure all wires connected to ground (furnace chassis) are secure. I would verify it's the gas valve causing the noise by calling for heat and placing your hand on the valve body. You should feel the vibration and you should also see changes in the burner flame although it's such a rapid open/close (If it's the gas valve) you may not detect anything.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby Silverjwj » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:23 pm

You say it's been cleaned. Did you see the tech or whoever cleaned it physically clean the burners? When I was interning I saw some half ass preventative maintenance being done. If your burners are not clean they won't light off properly causing delayed ignition.
Silverjwj
Most Valued Contributor

Postby Mr Bill » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:16 pm

Sounds like it could be related to a drain, water or vent issue, seems to be a solenoid sound that I hear, also check for moisture in a vacuum hose.
Mr Bill
Regular Contributor

Postby Mr Bill » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:06 am

I am sure he is probably also talking about a 90+ condensate type furnace, this is why I felt it could be a vent issue or drain hose sagging holding water, or PVC exhaust pipe for a sag.
Mr Bill
Regular Contributor

Return to HVAC General Forum