Having trouble wiring a fridadaire furnace into my shop

Problems related to residential installations.

Having trouble wiring a fridadaire furnace into my shop

Postby bretty1110 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:40 pm

i have a furnace fridadaire model 80- 90 there is a green wire that is grounding the furnace , a white wire and a black wire coming from the furnace , the black is also connected to the botton door as a cut off for the fan, then carrys on, i have a white wire and a black wire and a copper ground coming from the wall , i was told to ground out the board to the g but i still cant get this to fire up , can anyone help me wire this up ?
bretty1110
New Contributor

- Having trouble wiring a fridadaire furnace into my shop

Postby how » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:38 pm

Do you have a diagnostic led light that is visable through a door grill or inspection port that is flashing. There should be a legend inside the furnace describing what the flashing sequence means.
When you call for heat (thermostat) does a blower or inducer motor start up? spark or hot surface igniter start up? Anything?
how
Most Valued Contributor

Postby bretty1110 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:01 am

i have 2 flashes on the panel, i am going to pick up a new switch for that , but before that went , it would turn on and try to start, fan kicked in, light was solid , igniter heated up red hot, then a double click on the valve, but no gas would release from the valve to the red hot element to light it tries this a couple times then flashes 4 times ? says igniter failure ?
bretty1110
New Contributor

Postby how » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:40 pm

What does your legend say the two flash code is? What switch are you picking up???

The next step according to the described ignition problem is to find out if the gas valve is getting a continuous 24V to open or if it's just momentary. This requires an electrical meter to test the gas valve voltage. If you test the gas valve and find a continuous 24V (at least 4 seconds) during an ignition trial then the trouble is with the gas valve. If its momentary (1 sec) then the possible causes are more numerous. Let us know what you find.
How many wires are connected to the gas valve?
how
Most Valued Contributor

Postby hvac5646 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:11 am

If you grounded the g terminal while it was energized than you blew a fuse or the board.
hvac5646
Minimal

Postby Mr Bill » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:35 pm

hvac5646 -
> If you grounded the g terminal while it was energized than you blew a fuse
> or the board.

I think he was talking about the green "ground" wire at the door switch, not the G-Fan wire, that's the way I read it.
Mr Bill
Regular Contributor

Postby heatseeker » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:52 pm

Do not attempt to fix this furnace yourself, you are flirting with disaster, call a pro to do it right. Did you know natural gas is explosive?
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Postby bretty1110 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:07 pm

it on propane and i work with propane daily just not into furnaces,
bretty1110
New Contributor

Postby bretty1110 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:26 pm

still have a yellow fault light , the blower goes on when the flame lights not much heat? anyone know how to fix it , i checked all the grounds ?
bretty1110
New Contributor

Postby how » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:44 pm

I think that if you were serious about addressing your furnace problem then you'd read and answer the posts of those trying to help you.
how
Most Valued Contributor

Next

Return to Residential