Payne PG8DAA

Problems related to residential installations.

Payne PG8DAA

Postby bootlegend » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:58 pm

Hello everyone. I'm looking for some advice on a noise in my Payne PG8DAA Horizontal gas furnace. I'm not sure what the assembly is called, maybe the draft inducer. I've linked to a video to hopefully explain a little more clearly.

*.be/riReWznSPiM

You can see and hear in the video that the plastic fan wheel is spinning independent of the shaft on the motor and is making some noise intermittently.

My questions so that I know what to expect before calling the service guy -

1) Should the plastic fan wheel be spinning relative to the shaft? Seems to me that it should be continuously spinning along with the shaft, but I don't see any keyway or locking mechanism other than the retaining washer visible in the video.

2) How much should I expect to be charged for someone fixing this. Parts? Labor? I had a capacitor go bad in my AC this past summer and I was charged $250 for about ten minutes of work, so I'd like to know what I'm going to be looking at total before having to pay $100 to have someone come and give an estimate.

I hope someone can help me out and thanks ahead of time.

I appreciate the help.
bootlegend
Minimal

- Payne PG8DAA

Postby how » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:25 pm

While I have not run into this myself, on other boards it has been suggested that the steel retaining clip can be gently removed and the wheel /shaft be daubed with some red heat proof silicone (available at HVAC houses) and the retaining clip put back in place. The retaining clip often needs to be bent back into shape before it will work again. The silicone needs to be heat proof and left on with the power off for a few hours to dry. It fills in the space where the plastic has worn away and helps bind it to the shaft. Make sure that the position that you leave it in allows the fan to rotate so that it doesn't bind on anything.
how
Most Valued Contributor

- Payne PG8DAA

Postby bootlegend » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:56 am

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking that it may be something as simple as that, but I didn't want to try to attach the wheel to the shaft with glue due to the heat issue, but I didn't realize there is a heat resistant product readily available.

Since I can't find a part number for it, I may call the local service company and see if they can find a replacement wheel for me.

Thanks for the help.
bootlegend
Minimal

- Payne PG8DAA

Postby how » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:25 pm

Its the same red heat resistant silicone that is used all over in new furnaces. If you are lucky you can find a HVAC supplier that sells it in a small glue tube size but usually it is set up for a caulking gun. It didn't look like you needed to order a new fan.
how
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential