Cleaning elctrostatic filters

Problems related to residential installations.

Cleaning elctrostatic filters

Postby brody » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:06 am

Hi,

My furnace has electrostatic filters and I put them in the dishwasher to clean them. That removes a lot of soot and dirt, but after I remove filters from the dishwasher I notice that the blades of the filter still have a fine layer of soot particles. I have to clean each blade by hand -- and it's not possible to go deep between the blades to properly clean each blade (and the blades are sharp too!).

Is there a better way to clean these filters?

Thanks for your help!
brody
Minimal

- Cleaning elctrostatic filters

Postby Silverjwj » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:39 am

Back wash it from the clean side for two to three minutes, being sure to cover the whole surface area. Use A garden hose, then stand it up with the holes on the bottom for ten to fifteen minutes or until dry. You can use a mild dishwashing solution but rinse thorowly. Your dishwasher is probly leaving a film cause it's not rinsing it enough.
Silverjwj
Most Valued Contributor

- Cleaning elctrostatic filters

Postby how » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:39 pm

Folks with serious allergies usually only clean one cell at a time in the dishwasher. The shape of the fins difuses the cleaning ability of the dishwasher when two cell are stacked togeather in it. Some nicotine addicts prewash in a landry tub with staight hot water and laundry soap. Use an up & down butter churning motion on the cells while the plates are in the horizontal plane to force the water in and out of the cell.
Don't use the dishwasher for the precells or they''ll fall apart over time.. Hand wash!
how
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential