Furnace issues

Problems related to residential installations.

Furnace issues

Postby identd » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:47 am

Hello folks, I have had some strange issues with my natural gas furnace. I have the thermostat set to 70 degrees to kick in heat. The swing on the thermostat is 1.5 degrees. Furnace will kick in and get to 70 or so and the turn off, so far so good. So the next time the furnace triggers to come on, the glow stick will light up, the gas turns on, and we get a flame for about 3 seconds (once the glow stick turns off). This happens three times and then stops. The temp will then drop to very cold levels, and we will have to manually flip the furnace power switch off and on to get the furnace to "wake up". The furnace will stay on and heat the house until it hits 70 or so. While the furnace isn't working, HEAT is shown on the thermostat. I just desired the thermostat to make sure the connections were good and tight. Filter on unit was changed a week ago, in repo se to this issue Anyone have any idea what is going on ?
identd
New Contributor

- Furnace issues

Postby how » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:36 am

Usually this would be a dirty flame sensor in need of cleaning that is causing an occaisional lockout but the year/model and brand would help.
You probably have a flashing diagnostic led light that you can observe through a door grill or inspection port on the furnace.
The legend on your furnace door or the board itself will turn the flashing sequence into a diagnosis..
how
Most Valued Contributor

- Furnace issues

Postby identd » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:17 am

383kav I tried cleaning the flame sensor with some steel wool and bit seems that ha resolved the issue. Inwas getting a code 14 on the furnace LEDs. Thank you for the help
identd
New Contributor

- Furnace issues

Postby heatseeker » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:31 am

Another satisfied costumer. Oh and you saved yourself a service call, do you need a job you are already better than half the techs on the market.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

- Furnace issues

Postby identd » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:04 pm

How often should one clean this, or just do it when I notice issues? Yes very happy that worked. Got up today when it was 54 in the house and I read your post. Found th model number and found to PDF online. I didnt expect pet the sensor to be a metal stick. It did t look dirty but cleaned it anyways. I went back to bed and woke up to find the temp at 70. Thank you for your help.
On a side, it's interesting how long it takes to heat a house that is that low, I suppose the structure takes awhile to absorb the heat
identd
New Contributor

- Furnace issues

Postby how » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:56 pm

How often to clean a flame sensor is a hot issue of debate but the flame sensors in residential units that require the most frequent cleaning are those near where laundry soap is being used or cat boxes. Weird, I know, but it seems those two situations coat and insulate the flame sensor.
how
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential