New Furnace Used During Construction Process

Problems related to residential installations.

New Furnace Used During Construction Process

Postby Rabbit » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:33 pm

We are building a new home and they have been using our brand new Carrier furnace during the building process. It hasn't had a filter it the entire time and everything has been open to it the cold air return/intake. It is a high efficient model so it gets combustion air directly from out side the house. I can see that the entire furnace is covered in drywall dust inside and out and I'm now concerned that this dust may have entered the bearings and will be doing damage and shorten the life of my furnace and void the warranty. Does anyone have any feed back on this matter or suggestions on if I should be talking to the manufacturer and/or my builder about this issue? I have been documenting this with pictures and videos throughout the building process. I would post pictures but I not sure if I can on this site. Thanks for any and all feedback.
Rabbit
Minimal

- New Furnace Used During Construction Process

Postby how » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:52 pm

Why?..... has the contracter been running the furnace in a construction zone without a filter?
Once the house is finished and the furnace system is cleaned up, I doubt that anyone is going to know what kind of dust abuse it went through so...I sincerely doubt that you'll ever have a refusal of warrenty... but get a filter in it now & have replacement filters ready beside the furnace with someone on the crew made responsible for changing them during the rest of the build.
how
Most Valued Contributor

Postby Big » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:02 pm

Agree , if any construction dust is in the unit ,you have no warrenty
Big
Regular Contributor

Postby Freon » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:23 pm

If there's any way to access the heat exchanger, get some high pressure air and try and clean it the best you can. Your real concern would be if you had an evaporator coil in the system. If you do, you'll need to remove the coil and have it thoroughly cleaned. A dirty coil affects not only the AC heat transfer but also the overall air flow through the system.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

Postby heatseeker » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:37 am

I would hold the contractor liable for any damages to the unit, they absolutely should not be using the heater during construction. That is incompetent and rude. Call in a third party to clean the unit and duct work then charge back to joe the dipwade contractor.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Return to Residential