In-wall Timer for LED load bulbs

General topics about all things heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.

In-wall Timer for LED load bulbs

Postby ccpyue » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:50 pm

I've an In-wall 110V timer used to control 6 out-door halogen bulbs each of 35W. I recently changed all bulbs to LED which is only 3W each. Then the In-wall timer won't turn off the lights at set time. I called up the mfg, they said my LED bulbs won't have sufficient load to make the timer work, and told me to buy another type In-wall timer which cost $60-. I don't want to spend that $60- to replace the one year new timer , can I add loading to the timer to make it work. Such as by simply add a resistant to the power line before going in to the In-wall timer? or is there any other way to solve this problem? Thank you.
ccpyue
New Contributor

- In-wall Timer for LED load bulbs

Postby Freon » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:18 pm

To answer your question correctly we need to know the manufacturer and model number of the timer you have. It seems you need a higher load on the load side (where the lights are) not the line side. But that's just a guess. If that's correct, possibly adding a 60 watt light on the load side may help you... again, just a guess.
Freon
Most Valued Contributor

- In-wall Timer for LED load bulbs

Postby Schierenbeck » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:48 am

Cheers. I might get one as a sample before I buy 100 of them though. How long are you talking them lasting for then? The spec reckons 5-6 years (50k hours), you think a little less than this? Either way the difference in power consumption would pay for them alone over this period
Schierenbeck

Return to HVAC General Forum