Comfortmaker RPJ II

Problems related to residential installations.

Comfortmaker RPJ II

Postby twizotte » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:21 pm

I have a Comfortmaker RPJ II that recently stopped working. The blower starts up, but the pilot is not lit and does not seem to ignite so the unit simply blows cold air. This happened one time before and it required a new thermostat. I replaced it again simply to prevent the same occurrence. No change in results.

I put a multimeter on the ignitor port on the gas valve. One was at 30v, the other did not register anything. Is this correct? If not, what should I check further?
twizotte
New Contributor

- Comfortmaker RPJ II

Postby how » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:01 pm

You probably have a board that has a led diagnostic light. The sequence of flashes it gives off can be explained on the legend that's glued to the inside of one of the furnace doors. Some times the door switch will need to be taped shut so that one can open the door to look at the led light without having the furnace power shut it off. Most have a viewing port in the door to make all of that easier..

The most common RPJ 11 ignition problem will be a dirty flame rod that will need to be cleaned with steel wool.

Let us know what you find.
how
Most Valued Contributor

- Comfortmaker RPJ II

Postby twizotte » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:24 pm

This is a older unit with apparently no led. We checked voltage all the way around. So, the 28volts out of the smart valve is about right? We went to clean the ignitor and barely touched the ignitor while cleaning the fire rod and it snapped off like a super weak twig. Thoughts?
twizotte
New Contributor

- Comfortmaker RPJ II

Postby how » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:58 pm

Ahh the notorious smart valve system. Everything about that system is a potential problem from poor pin connections to a very fragile pilot proving system. If the igniter has broken off you'll need to replace the smart valve pilot assy. This is one type of system that many say is not a good DIY project because of how finicky they can be.
how
Most Valued Contributor

- Comfortmaker RPJ II

Postby twizotte » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:12 pm

Yeah, I barely touched the thing and it popped off, seems like it might have been super brittle or already cracked. I can buy the assembly pretty cheap and it seems to be easy enough to try before paying for a serviceman.
twizotte
New Contributor

- Comfortmaker RPJ II

Postby how » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:22 pm

Even new they can be problematic so treat it carefully. The connections also have inherant weaknesses so be careful not to strain any of the connections attached to that valve.
how
Most Valued Contributor

- Comfortmaker RPJ II

Postby twizotte » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:25 pm

Will do, I appreciate the guidance.
twizotte
New Contributor

- Comfortmaker RPJ II

Postby heatseeker » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:18 am

ya gotta love it. Let us know how it turns out.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

- Comfortmaker RPJ II

Postby twizotte » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:27 pm

Huzzah! Success!
twizotte
New Contributor

- Comfortmaker RPJ II

Postby heatseeker » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:31 pm

Good job. You are on your way to becoming a hvac technician. Rule #1 always look for crack before felling for it, actually don't touch it at all.
heatseeker
Most Valued Contributor

Next

Return to Residential